cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

hp prime graphic calculator, bought june 2018

HP Recommended
hp prime graphic calculator, 3CD66220088

My new ASUS notebook has a USB-C 3.0 input connector. The pocket calculator was delivered with a USB cable whose one end fits into the calculator but the other end not into the USB-C. I checked the specs of the calculator but could not find out what type of connector there is.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 8
587 574 113 190
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's the same type USB plug that most "thumb drives" currently have, namely, a standard USB "Type A" plug, which is compatible with most USB 1.0, USB 2.0, and USB 3 ports on computers.  If your notebook does not have any Type A sockets, a good "USB-C to USB-A adaptor" (often called simply a "USB-C to USB adaptor" or dongle) will suffice, costs only a few dollars.  Google will find one at a store near you (e.g. Staples, Best Buy, and Walmart sell them).

Hope that helps! Disclaimer: I don't work for HP, and my ancient laptop only has USB 2.0 ports.

-Joe-
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe!

Thanks for your reply! In the meantime I made pics of the two incompatible plugs. It seems that the HP connector is rather mini AB than A but I am not sure. I would like to attach the fotos so you can inspect the plugs with your expertise but I do not see how I can do this here.

Again thanks a lot for your answer.

Regards  Heinz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
587 574 113 190
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The USB socket on the HP Prime itself is USB Micro AB.  The end of the USB cable which plugs into the Prime is USB Micro B.  The end of the cable which plugs into a computer or power source is USB A. See a table of these here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Receptacle_(socket)_identification

-Joe-
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe!

Thanks for replying. The calculator end fits, therefore no problem. The PC end of the cable is definitely NOT USB A because it is much smaller. The measurements are approx. 6mm x 1.8mm. It has a chamfer and 5 pins and looks more or less like mini AB (which is depreciated). The PC has 2 USB 3 inputs, one 3.0 with receptical type A and one 3.1/ 3.2 with receptical type C.

I have contacted my supplier of the hp calculator and I expect some reaction next week. Over the weekend nothing moves.

In any case I will inform you about the status of this problem.

By the way: Are you a electrical engineer? I am, although retired.  Regards  Heinz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
587 574 113 190
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fascinating. The very earliest HP Primes were shipped with a USB Micro A to USB Micro B cable (intended only for data transfer between two calculators) in addition to the currently shipping USB Type A to USB Micro B cable (intended for data transfer between calculator and computer and/or battery recharging).  The USB Micro A-to-B cable has black plastic inside the plug of the B end, and white plastic inside of the A end. Is that perhaps the cable you have?

-Joe-
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
587 574 113 190
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's the cable that normally ships with the HP Prime:

usbmicrob

And here's the calculator-to-calculator micro-A-to-micro-B cable that originally shipped with the HP Prime but was soon discontinued:

microatomicrob

-Joe-
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
971 954 119 185
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately when HP decided on the package contenets, USB-C was not a standard and therefore no adaptor or cable included for that.

You will have to purchase your own USB-C to USB-A adaptor:

USB-C_to_USB-A.jpg

Or USB-C to Micro-USB cable:

USB-C_to_MICRO-USBx.jpg

-Bart
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe, hi Bart

The cable I have looks like USB 2.0 with Micro A to the hp calculator and Micro B to PC. But the recepticals on the PC are USB 3.0 with either type A or type C. Question: Is there a adapter on the market to solve this problem? Please advice.

How did you manage to upload the pics of connectors to the forum. I did could not find it. Please advice. Makes things a lot easier!

Heinz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bart, I can't see your pictures! There is only a place holder.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation