john_w_7
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

importing programs from hpcalc.org to HP Prime Calculator

HP Recommended

I have been trying to load AstroLab4 into my prime but there is no .hpprgm extentions on any of the items that unzipped.

I was also going to try opening the program and copy and paste but that didn't work either.

In the past I have written programs for the 28S, 48GX and 50G but this prime is giving me problems.

Please HELP.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just drop that whole zip file onto your calculator through the connkit.  hpappdir folders are applications. Dragging and dropping an hpappdir folder onto your calcualtor in the connkit will send the app. An app consists of an hpapp file, a program faile, a note, and potentially other itmes.

Post back if you have any  questions.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
john_w_7
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I tried drag and drop with zip file, didn't work. With .hpappdir files didn't work. I tried into calc and virtual calc but no joy. This calc is a lot more of a pain than the 48&50. Maybe it is time to give up the color and touch screen and go back to my 50g.
I'm using win 8.1 if that matters.
0 Kudos
john_w_7
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried Area.hpappdir.zip and it loaded just fine in the Virtual calc and the real prime so I geuss there is a problem with the program and not the calc so I have no idea how to fix it, any ideas???

0 Kudos
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried the detailed instructions Han gives for installation of his GRAPH 3D app, which works very well?

1. Update: Make sure to update to at least firmware 6940.
  2. Connect the calculator to your PC; on the PC start the Connectivity Kit.
  3. In the Connectivity Kit, make sure the Content tab is open. (Select Window > Content if necessary)
  4. Drag the Graph3D.hpappdir folder into the Content tab. You may need to scroll the Content area to the bottom so that you can "drop" the hpappdir into the bottom of the list. Otherwise, you may inadvertently drop the hpappdir into the wrong location, such as an existing hpaddir.
  5. Drag the Graph3D.hpappdir folder from the Content tab into your calculator or virtual calculator.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-95.html

On Windows 10 and the most recent versions of the Connectivity Kit and calculator I have no problems with installing the  Astrolab4  apps but they do not work.

On my virtual calculator starting an app immediately closes the calculator.

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I apologize for leading you astray. The author of that program did not follow the recommended way of putting files together. If program authors follow the recommended way of doing things, simply dragging a zip file would install everything in 1 step. That was never possible on the 48 series.

Unzip the directory. You get a "AstroLab4" folder. Inside of that you'll find folders with ".hpappdir" extensions. Drag and drop those and it will load. The reason it didn't just work is that they tucked the app files into a separate folder *inside* the zip.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
john_w_7
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I try and grag and drop the hpappdir files to the prime I get the red circle with a slash through it and nothing transfers. I'm wondering if this is a real Prime program.

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How old is your calcualtor firmware?  If you haven't updated it for years, or got some old stock when purchasing that very well might be happening.

Is this the file you downloaded? http://www.hpcalc.org/details/7593

TW

0 Kudos
john_w_7
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The software on both the calc and virtual calc have been updated.
Yes that is the program I'm trying to download.
0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unzip the folder.  Now drag that folder to your files area in the lower left of the connkit. You should see it show up. That is the folder located at C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\HP Connectivity Kit\Content or at /Users/<username>/Documents/HP Connectivity Kit/Content on a mac.

The problem is you are trying to drag directly from the windows explorer "pseudo" zip file. Windows tries to pretend a zip archive is a folder through explorer and it doesn't work seamlessly in all cases and with all programs. Unzip it first, then drag those folders and it will work this time.

You can drag from the content pane directly, or from normal folders on your computer directly, but not from something that is still inside a zip archive.

TW

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation