Did you mean: 
dawgprez08
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

multiplication key has stopped working

HP Recommended
HP 12c Platinum

The multiplication key on my HP 12c Platinum calculator has stopped working how do I get it fixed? Thx!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Joe_Horn
Level 8
622 609 117 207
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Suggestion: Try gently blasting compressed air into the gaps around that key. It might dislodge a tiny lint fuzzball that wedged itself in there.

If the problem is being caused by sticky gunk inside the keyboard (e.g. after an accidental soda spill dries up), DO NOT attempt to clean out the gunk by removing the batteries, bringing the calculator into the shower with you, vigorously shampooing it, then blasting hot water long and hard into the keyboard, then rinsing it with isopropyl alcohol, then smacking it against a towel until it seems pretty dry, then setting it in front of an electric fan for a few days, then replacing the batteries.  The reason for avoiding that process is not because it doesn't work (it worked perfectly for me once, but everybody I mentioned it to called me an idiot for doing it that way) but because I hate to see anybody being called an idiot. Not to mention that it voids the warranty. :Wink:

If you can't get the key to work, see Appendix F in your "hp 12c platinum financial calculator user's guide" for "Verifying Proper Operation (Self-Tests)". If the keyboard self-test reveals that the key truly is not functioning, the "Service Information" section of Appendix F includes phone numbers for all the Service Centers. Even if your calculator is no longer under warranty, they might be able to help you.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
0 Kudos
Jan_D
Level 6
305 297 32 76
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would not worry much about this because with 2 keystrokes you attain the same:

First press key 1/x, next press the division key :  

EDIT 

The former holds for RPN mode.

In ALG mode  3*7 becomes 3   :   7   1/x

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation