Tutor
6 5 0 2
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

white lines appearing when using CAS mode, HP Prime

hp prime

I bought two hp prime calculators today. At the moment of using the CAS mode, white lines appear randomly on the screen as if it was failing. I have the same problem with both calculators. I have updated them and the problem persists. What can I do to solve the problem? It is very frustrating to be working on the calculators while the white lines appear.

12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3379 3317 159 493
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi!, @4bts :

Please, could you indicate which is the Firmware, Connectivity Kit and Virtual Emulator you are using and which one have the calculators installed?

The ultimate are ... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime

Note : For install new version you needed delete all previous version in de PC or notebook, of Firmware, Connectivity Kit and Virtual Emulator; then you can with the cable conector USB-microUSB, downloaded in calculator.

You're Welcome !.
Best wishes and regards.
@Maké (Voluntary and "ad honorem").
Click the White thumb to say thanks.
Please, mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
PD : The experience is like a comb you want to use, when you're bald.
4bts Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 2
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

hi!! Maké,

The  firmware installed in the Connectivity Kit, Virtual Emulator and the calculators is 20181016. I hope you can help me solve this problem. I'm searshing everywhere for a solucion but the problem persist.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3379 3317 159 493
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can you indicate what model of HP PRIME have you and too send one image in format .png with the lines and in what cases of CAS appear ?.

You're Welcome !.
Best wishes and regards.
4bts Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 2
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

the model is HP PRIME G8X92AA, sorry I'm sending more than one image because it is very hard to take a picture of it, hopefully the ones that I'm uploading are enotgh to show you the problem, It happens all the time when you use any botton or the touchscreen, but specialy with the touchscreen.

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.40 PM.pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.41 PM (1).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.41 PM (2).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.41 PM (3).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.41 PM.pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.42 PM (1).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.42 PM (1.pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.42 PM (2).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.42 PM (3).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.42 PM.pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.43 PM (1).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.43 PM (2).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.43 PM (3).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.43 PM (4).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.43 PM (5).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.43 PM (6).pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.43 PM.pngWhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 5.57.44 PM.png

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3379 3317 159 493
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi!, @4bts:

Is possible what your's calculators have problem in screen, but you can try execute DIAGNOSTIC MENU EA656 of LCD, with ...

Press simultaneously the keys C+F+O and mainten the keys pressioned, press ON key by few seconds.

Then appear the DIAGNOSTIC MENU. Check LCD. If result NG, signify NOT GOOD and you must replace the calculators with the warranty.

You're Welcome !.
Best wishes and regards.
Tags (1)
4bts Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 2
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ok, thank you

It came out to be NG.

Thanks for your help, hope you have a nice Day. 

PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
694 692 110 161
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello,

Your calculator is functioning perfectly normally and replacing it again will do nothing.

What you are seeing is the display refreshing as it redraws while you drag your finger. For various techincal resons, we cannot buffer the screen on the home screen to ensure you only see the screen after it has been drawn. So while dragging with your finger, you will sometimes see it mid-draw during the screen refresh time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Also, NG does not mean not good there in the diagnostics. That menu is only for factory use and will not give you correct information if you are not perfectly following the steps done in the factory. I'm sure you did not do the exactl process, so did not get a result that means anything.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
4bts Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 2
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Tim,

I understand what you telling me. What you are saying happens in other apps of the Calculator and I undestand that it is tolally normal, but in here is way to much. As I said, is very difficult to see it in images. Imagen that those lines appear all over the screen. If there was anyway of sending a video, you could see what I meen. It is not Just a line that you get some times, are many lines poping up in a second, even if the image on the screen is the same. I don't think that a calculator of that quiality as the HP PRIME would  have the problems that cheaper calculators don't have and that someone after seen the problem would say that it is totally normal. I send the calculator for a warranty check, will see what they say and I will be telling you. If you want I can send you the video that I took.

thanks for your time.

PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
694 692 110 161
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Feel free to post your video somewhere and send a private link, or a link on a post.

If you are seeing lines when you are not busy touching the screen, it could be an interaction between the screen refresh, and your light source/electrical grid. If you are touching it and scrolling while seeing lines, this is due to the issue I talked about before.

There are plenty of places in the system that don't have this. For example, open the application catalog and use your finger to scrolll. It will be nice and smooth without that flicker.

The reason why this can't be done on the home screen is that user programs could be impacted and not display properly. It isn't from "we don't know how" or "we choose not to", but a delibrate decision to make user programs function better for the user.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation