Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
EliteOne 705 G1 23" Non-Touch
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am applying a config file I created and everything works well as there are no error messages. However, when I reboot, the system does not boot from the hard drive. When I check the Boot Order in the BIOS, it has listed the following: Storage>Boot Options>Legacy Boot Sources>Hard Drive>> USB Hard Drive and SATA0. The USB Hard Drive is greyed because it is disabled, but SATA0 is still Enabled. 

My issue is when I use BIOSConfigUtility64.exe to create a file, the USB Hard Drive is not listed as an option under Legacy Boot Sources. I have confirmed that by setting the ATAPI CD-ROM Drive to "Disabled", it also disables the USB Hard Drive Option.

I would like to disable the USB Hard Drive Option, but I want SATA0 to be listed above it so the computer will boot. When I change it to this setting manaully, the system does boot from the internal hard drive.

I don't see an option to uplaod the config file, so I'll post the top section here:

BIOSConfig 1.0
;
;     Originally created by BIOS Configuration Utility
;     Version: 4.0.18.1
;     Date="2017/03/23" Time="11:37:39" UTC="-4"
;
;     Found 126 settings
;
;Product Name
;    HP EliteOne 705 G1 23-inch Non-Touch AiO
;Manufacturer
;    Hewlett-Packard
;SKU Number
;    G5L50AV
;Processor Type
;    AMD A4 PRO-7350B R5, 5 Compute Cores 2C+3G
;Processor Speed
;    3400 MHz
;Processor Stepping
;    00630F01 06003106
;Memory Size
;    8192 MB / 1600 MHz
;BIOS Version & Date
;    L06 v02.27  10/24/2016
;Born On Date
;    00000000
;Chassis Serial Number
;    ##########
;Asset Tracking Number
;    ##########
;System Board CT Number

;System Board ID
;    225F
Family Name
    103C_53307F G=D
SATA Emulation
    IDE
    *AHCI
    RAID
Removable Media Boot
    Disable
    *Enable
    Disable USB
EFI Boot Order
    USB Floppy/CD
    USB Hard Drive
    ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
    Network Controller IPv4
    Network Controller IPv6
    Other
Legacy Boot Order
    Hard Drive
    Network Controller
    USB Floppy/CD Disabled
    ATAPI CD-ROM Drive Disabled  This setting seems to control both  ATAPI CD-ROM and USB Hard Drive settings in BIOS
    PnP Device #1
    PnP Device #2
    PnP Device #3
    PnP Device #4
    PnP Device #5
    PnP Device #6
    PnP Device #7
    PnP Device #8
    PnP Device #9
    PnP Device #10
    PnP Device #11

I am using BIOS Config Utility version 4.0.21.1. The system BIOS is actually at 2.28. I also tried the config file on a 2.24 BIOS version with the same result. I even went back to old versions of the BIOS Config Utility and all of the acted the same way. From what I can tell, there is no way to set the boot order under the Hard Drive listing (SATA0 & USB Hard Drive). Outside of this problem, all the other settings get set as expected along with the BIOS Password.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Revisiting this nearly a year later. I've decided the best way to combat this is to leave the ATAPI CD-ROM option enabled and change the Removable Media Boot option to "Disable USB". I did test this with a bootable USB drive plugged in and USB Hard Drive being set as the first boot device in the Legacy Boot List. The system does boot to the local hard drive and not the USB, so that will solve my issue. I also noted this in the config file so when I look at this again next year, I'll remember why this was done. It seems there is no way to manage the CD-ROM drive as a boot device, which is fine with us.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.