Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I need to change BIOS settings on 2k HP machines in our environment, I have been trying to do this using the BiosConfigUtility from HP but I am having issues....

I have gotten the configuration from a machine that is set correctly, I have also encrpyed a password and generated a .bin file.

If I go direct to a PC and run this command it works:

BiosConfigUtility64.exe /set:"final.txt" /nspwdfile:"\\DC01\NETLOGON\test\NewPassword.bin" /cspwdfile:"\\DC-1\NETLOGON\test\NewPassword.bin"

I am trying to use PSExec to push this command to all machines, which is why the UNC is used above so that all machines can get to the location on read only.

If I run the below from a remote machine I get the following:

PsExec.exe @list.txt \\DC01\NETLOGON\test\BiosConfigUtility64.exe /set:"final.txt" /nspwdfile:"\\DC01\NETLOGON\test\NewPassword.bin" /cspwdfile:"\\DC01\NETLOGON\test\NewPassword.bin"

(The list.txt will contain all HP machines we want to make these changes on. 

Using the above command I get the following errors:

PsExec v1.70 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2006 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

\\r003-test-100:
<BIOSCONFIG Version="" Computername="PC100TEST" Date="2017/05/26" Time="15:29:46" UTC="1">
<ERROR msg="Unable to open password file: \\DC01\NETLOGON\test\NewPassword.bin" />
<ERROR msg="BCU return value" real="10" translated="10" />
</BIOSCONFIG>
\DC01\NETLOGON\test\BiosConfigUtility64.exe exited on PC100TEST with error code 10.

What am I doing wrong and is there a way to do this differently?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings @RC123456,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks very much, much appreciated 🙂 

HP Recommended

I'm also receiving this "Unable to open password file: " error.  Just downloaded the BCU today and noticed this post was only a few days old.  was there a solution provided for this?

HP Recommended

The default password must be at least 8 characters long.

If your are : ERROR msg="Unable to process command. Password is set, but password provided is invalid"

Display the active password configuration :

BiosConfigUtility64.exe /getvalue:"Password Minimum Length"

<BIOSCONFIG Version="" Computername="MONORDI" Date="2019/10/15" Time="11:02:14" UTC="2">
<SETTING changeStatus="pass" name = "Password Minimum Length" returnCode="0">
<VALUE><![CDATA[8]]></VALUE>
</SETTING>
<Information msg="BCU return value" real="0" translated="0" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

and use : HPQPswd.exe /s /p"8mincharpassword" /f"BIOS-pwd.bin"

or change "Password Minimum Length".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.