Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 J2U19EA#NRH
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I was on before and had a problem with the accelerometer dll and followed the advice of DavidPK and that seemed to get rid of the accelerometer problem, however I now notice that my HP Envy 17 is very reluctant to start after it has been switched off. It can take several attempts. I've had a blue screen come up several times with a message 

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed

Error Code: 0xc0000185

Even when it eventually boots up my finger print recognition has to be tried many times before it will work .

It seems all these problems have manifested themselves after the last Windows 10 update. Prior to that everything was working ok. I do not have any installation discs for the windows 10 as it was downloaded from microsoft when they upgraded windows 7 premium.  

I would be grateful for any advice.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @Robbiebox,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to windows and you are getting an error message.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2ujvI07

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

Thank you for your prompt response to my problem.

I tried the hard reset as per your link, unfortunately the problem still persists.

The laptop has been working absolutely fine until very recently. The trouble occurred after what appeared to be a major update to windows 10. Since then it always started with an error message:

AccelerometerSt.exe

The applicationwas unable to start (0xc000007b)

I put this up as a post on the forum and followed the advice of DPK and installed sp81142.exe as per instructions. This sorted out the error message about the accelerometer but since then I am experiencing this start up problem. When I do get the laptop running after a lot of retrying it works fine until I close it down again.

I hope you can help as this has been a great laptop.

Thank you

Robin

HP Recommended

Hi @Robbiebox,

Try the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry for HP 3D DriveGuard and select Uninstall.

Then download and install  HP 3D DriveGuard from the below link and test.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette

Thank you for your patience in trying to sort out the problem. I followed your latest  instruction and uninstalled and downloaded and reinstalled  the appropiate 3D Drive Guard as suggested. 

The result is unfortunately no difference. The machine just hung and then I just kept starting and restarting until it all kicked in.

I then tried being patient and just waiting instead of starting and restarting windows and this is what happend.

See Photo 1 below.

Photo 1 Start up.JPG

Now see photo two which is what happened after about 5 or so minutes with just the HP sign sitting there.

Photo 2 Start up.JPG

After the dots eventually started rolling I managed to get the laptop to start although it took about a dozen swipes off my finger for the machine to recognise my fingerprint.

Below is photo 3 which shows the blue screen that sometimes comes up when it fails to start.

Once the laptop has finally booted, everything else seems to work ok.

I hope these screen shots help you to try and figure out the next step. Once again thank you for your patience in this matter. You're a credit to HP.

Thank you

Robin

HP Recommended

Hi @Robbiebox,

I recommend you to perform a system restore back to the date when the computer was working fine.

Following the steps in the below article to perform the system restore.

http://hp.care/2wYMB2R

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette

Thank you for the suggestion. I went to system restore but it only shows two restore points (see Photo) going back a couple of days. The windows 10 update was about a week or so back.

System restore photo.jpg

Any suggestions. I'm reluctant to use the HP recovery discs that I produced when I got the laptop as that would probably restore it all back to Windows 8 which was on the machine when I bought it I presume.

Thank you 

Robin

HP Recommended

Hi @Robbiebox,

I recommend you to perform a reset on the computer and check.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a reset.

http://hp.care/2w8hUJX

Let me know how it works and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette

Sorry to be such a pain. I've tried to perform a reset as suggested and each time when I get to the point where it asks for my password, I enter it and it says incorrect password. I've tried changing my password in so many places now i.e. google, microsoft etc but it still refuses to accept any password I enter. Is the password the one for the machine when I first set it up nearly 3 years ago? I was sure it was my google mail password although I never use it to sign into windows as I always use fingerprint reader. Is there anyway I can get round this?

Robin

HP Recommended

Hi @Robbiebox,

I recommend you contact HP phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to auto detects

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.