Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP all in one desktop computer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Might be in wrong forum heading, but I have a question about renewing McAfee. My trial ran out a few weeks ago and I keep getting notice to renew.  I recall the salesman where I purchased my computer say they did not recommend renewing McAfee as it caused malware??  I had McAfee on on OLD HP with no issues (8 years). Does the Microsoft Defender suffice or should I install  another antiviral software?  Sorry, I am a bit confused, but not totally computer illiterate!  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TexGran 

I will not make comments about McAfee Security - I don't use it but I generally stay away from saying much about people's security software choices.

That said,

Windows Defender is certainly a front-line contender for general security needs.  It works quite well with Microsoft, of course.  Smiling.

There are several paid security software packages available.  Some of these same companies offer "free versions".  I would think - based on nothing more than assumptions and guesswork - that Windows Defender is as good as some of the marketed "free versions" of Security Software.

Think about what you have to protect, how you are using your computer, the amount of risk you perceive based on that use, and whether you want or need extra tools or software for specialty uses.

In general, the more you pay for your Security Software, the more tools are available.

Example only -

Password manager

VPN

Shopping, banking, and other specialty tools

The big names are always worth a look:  Avast Premium, Norton (have not used), for example.

If you decide to get rid of McAfee, there are "uninstall" instructions at McAfee.

Windows Defender - its status, how to use, and whether it is enabled on your computer :

Settings > Update and Security > Windows Security

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TexGran 

I will not make comments about McAfee Security - I don't use it but I generally stay away from saying much about people's security software choices.

That said,

Windows Defender is certainly a front-line contender for general security needs.  It works quite well with Microsoft, of course.  Smiling.

There are several paid security software packages available.  Some of these same companies offer "free versions".  I would think - based on nothing more than assumptions and guesswork - that Windows Defender is as good as some of the marketed "free versions" of Security Software.

Think about what you have to protect, how you are using your computer, the amount of risk you perceive based on that use, and whether you want or need extra tools or software for specialty uses.

In general, the more you pay for your Security Software, the more tools are available.

Example only -

Password manager

VPN

Shopping, banking, and other specialty tools

The big names are always worth a look:  Avast Premium, Norton (have not used), for example.

If you decide to get rid of McAfee, there are "uninstall" instructions at McAfee.

Windows Defender - its status, how to use, and whether it is enabled on your computer :

Settings > Update and Security > Windows Security

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.