Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I recently had my laptop in for a repair.  When i got it back the shop had unstilled Microsoft Office and put on Libre6 Office.   I would like to get my Microsoft Offie back on my computer.  My problem is that the computer is over 10 years old and I can not locate the disk with the info.  Microsoft said to contact the manufacturer to see if they can tell me what version of office was installed.  Any help would be appreciated in trying to recover Microsoft office.

The repair shop has gone out of business and no contact info was lefted.  The documents I have saved under Word and Excel do not open up properly from Libre.

Not very happy.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@codek5lo

I can see why you would be unhappy.  It does not work and you cannot open your documents.

Your mystery ten year old computer might have been running what... Vista?

Perhaps Microsoft Office 2010 (if you had upgraded it)?

We don't know what kind of computer you have.

We don't know which Operating System you are (were) running.

Most importantly,

HP does not have the information you seek.

That long ago, it is likely that if you purchased the Office software with the computer -- you would have received a CD that contained the software; the KEY to that software would have been included on the outside of the CD container.  That's it -- HP likely did not ever document (save) the information and it is certain such records are not still around after ten years or more.   Even if it could be found, the time and effort to search old records would not be free.

What we might be able to find out:

Provide us with the exact computer model name (or product number).

Help to find Product Information

If the system information is still available (if the computer has not been retired), we can perhaps track down what was installed at the time you purchased the system.

You may have the option to purchase newer Office Software.

Unless you were told differently by Microsoft, newer Microsoft Office (as far as I know) can still open older Microsoft Office documents.  The main issue is whether newer Office software runs on a ten year old computer.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The serial number is [removed per Rules Of Participation]
Product #VU152UA#AB1
Model #dv7-3078nr

Windows 7
Microsoft Works 9.
Home Premium

The sad thing is I took the laptop to have a new screen put in. Nothing else was wrong.

HP Recommended
It was. UP Laptop
HP Recommended

@codek5lo

It is sad.

The system was apparently a CTO version of the model.

HP Pavilion dv7-3078nr Entertainment Notebook PC

This means that there are no Specifications listed at the Support Site for the system.

Regardless, the lack of a Specifications sheet is not of main consequence -- the result is the same:  

If you no longer have the software installation  / CD and the key for the software, you will have to replace it.   

If you have kept your emails OR if your ISP / mail provider has the information in archive, you might find the key in your original Order confirmation email from HP.

Even if HP had the information (not likely but possible), it would cost you more than the old software is worth to have a search conducted.  (Phone support, repairs, searches, time / effort are not free for out of warranty products.)

I did a quick check -- there are resources on the Internet to purchase this software for little cost (perhaps between $35-$50 USD).  NOTE:  Resources in your region may indicate something similar or different and different Browsers sometimes display different search results.

Were it mine to solve, I would purchase newer Microsoft Office software.

Alternatively, you could try one of the free Office software alternatives.

Two examples of free Office style software:

Libre Office

Open Office

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.