Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Hi, 

I mistakenly deleted my Windows boot manager and now the screen shows 

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. choose your language settings, and then click "Next"

3. Click "Repair your computer."

The errors also show:

File:  \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Now I do not have a back up recovery disk nor any windows installation disk. trying to get recovery from the by pressing the "Esc" keys were not successful.  Is there someway I could obtain a copy of bootable recovery disk?

Quick advise is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

As we have properly understood your issue can you please help us with the windows you are using right now  so that we can assist you better?

Nitin singh

HP Recommended

It's stated as Windows 7 home Prem OA at the base of the notebook.

@Guleria_123 wrote:

As we have properly understood your issue can you please help us with the windows you are using right now  so that we can assist you better?

Nitin singh

HP Recommended

Please follow these steps and let us know once it works we will like to hear from you and asssit you better

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Tap <F8> during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
  3. Press <Down Arrow> until Repair Your Computer is highlighted, and then press <Enter>.

Nitin singh

HP Recommended

@Guleria_123 wrote:

Please follow these steps and let us know once it works we will like to hear from you and asssit you better

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Tap <F8> during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
  3. Press <Down Arrow> until Repair Your Computer is highlighted, and then press <Enter>.

Nitin singh

I tried the function key F8 but it display "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

No luck

HP Recommended

Greetings @Nicoho,

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer not booting to the desktop and is giving you an error "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause".

Don't worry, I will be glad to help.

Have you created a recovery kit on the computer?

Did you change the configuration of the computer? (Add or remove any hardware on the computer) 

Recommend you to do a power reset on the computer. Refer to this HP article for assistance.

Turn the computer On and keep tapping F2 or ESC on startup repeatedly. 

This would bring up the Startup menu or system diagnostics. 

Please run a system test on the computer. 

If all the test pass. 

Perform a power reset again. 

Turn the computer On and keep tapping F11/ESC to enter Recovery manager. 

If the computer boots to Recovery Manager, please try a system restore.

If the computer does not boot to the recovery manager. 

Please use the recovery kit created on the computer to perform recovery on the computer. Please refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

If you do not have the recovery kit created, please contact our phone support for the shipping options. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to contact our phone support. 

• Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Enter Product number or select to auto detect
  • Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please try manually rebuilding BCD.

1. Open Command Prompt from Recovery Drive.

Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and press "Enter". 

If you see :

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
  Total identified Windows installations: 1
  [1] D:\Windows
  Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

Press "Y" to confirm.

1. Reboot the system and check whether it boots. If not, run "Automatic Repair" 2-3 times continuously. If nothing helps you may need to "Refresh" or "Reset" PC. 

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.*****

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.