23 12 0 7
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Office 365 free offer on Windows 10

Office 2016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased and received today (Dec. 13, 2018) a brand-new HP Spectre x360 13t laptop.  I also purchased Microsoft Office 2016 Home and Student edition as part of the order for the laptop.  I went through  the first-time setups fairly smoothly, but discovered that no Office 2016 was pre-installed.  I have asked HP Support -- after contacting 3 different toll free numbers and getting bounced around between sales and tech support -- for an explanation and solution.  Unforunately, my last contact with HP was lost because their support system closes after 6:30 PM CST.  I am desperately lost as to how to get my officially purchased office 2016 installed and activated.

Also, I kept getting the annoying free trial of Office 365 -- is there a way to cleanly get rid of this nuisance?  I do not understand how HP can still install a free trial of Office 365 when a customer has already purchased the equivalent.  Would be grateful for any suggestions.

6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
21877 21696 1856 6911
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@RTX

This is just not something for which we can offer any assistance.

The Key for the software should have been included in one of the emails sent to you during your purchase order / confirmation / shipping.

I have asked someone to take a look.

Should there be a response, you will hear back on this thread before anyone contacts you using other methods.

As to the Office 365, if the product (trial) is installed in Programs and Features, you can uninstall it and Restart the computer.

If the message won't stop plaguing you, switch off all Notifications from Windows.

Settings > System > Notifications and actions >

Under Notifications, set the following to OFF

• Get notifications from apps and other senders
  • Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows

You can also be a bit more selective about which notifications you allow - it is a matter of choosing / choice.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Retired rick-s
Retired
2526 2518 103 368
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@RTX

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
23 12 0 7
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Many thanks, Rick-S.  Very much appreciated !!  Yes, I have received, and replied to a Private Message within this G\HP Community/forum.  It was from a representative of HP (I think, based on the sender info! -- the reason I'm saying this is the message came with a warning/alert about the existence of fake HP Help Desks.)

Thanking you again for your attention and kind consideration.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
23 12 0 7
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Many thanks Dragon-Fur -- everything you stated about Office 2016 is perfect, except that there was absolutely nothing in the entire box that came with the laptop about Office 2016 -- no instructions,  no mention (other than the packing list which listed the Office 2016 as a purchased item) of Office 2016 software.  Not even the first-time setup process which I thought would incoporate it (of course I got the prompt to free-trial/purchase Office 265 instead).

And that is why I called HP -- numerous times already -- and have since been getting the run-around.  I just completed another nightmarish 30+ minutes with another HP Support person and HP is just repeating what the previous person  said to me:  we're getting the experts who can resolve this and they'll be back to you in 48 hours (actually, it's now Friday, so I'll just have to wait for 4 more days).

Thank you for your atttention and kind consideration

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
21877 21696 1856 6911
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@RTX

Well, when this happened to me - several long years ago.  It was finally clear that the lost (not included) key had become a ghost.  No one wanted to actually say that, of course.  Lots of agents looked high and low for the missing key.  Lots of time and effort on the part of all of us.  I finally spoke with an agent that told me, "We cannot find it."  She offered to keep trying, of course.

In My case:  There came that magical moment when I said, "Yep, I am letting this one go without prejudice."     I purchased my own copy of Office and moved on.  I am not saying you should do that -- this is what I decided to do.   Personal decision

By the way,  I would guess that IF there is a problem, it might be related:  Microsoft Office 2019 is now the current version -- there might have been problems getting the older (2016) version.  ??  Or, perhaps the order was confused because the version changed between the time it was order and when the computer was packed up for the purchase.   Might be worth asking about.

I just purchased a new copy of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 - nice, but not so much different from the 2016 version I already have (needed another copy of Office for another machine).  My 2019 version still new (to me); there may be something "new and shiny" down in the software I have not yet discovered.  Certainly works well and this package comes with "everything Office".

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
23 12 0 7
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello Dragon-Fur et al,

About 3 hours ago, I concluded a series of nerve-wracking conversations by phone to -- not HP, but Microsoft,

Thanks to Rick-S and TrinitySoMe (both have replied/responded to this post), I was able to contact Microsoft through the intervention of TrinitySoMe, who I believe came into the picture because of Rick-S's intervention.  Many thanks to all!

I  spoke to Microsoft, and at first they were reluctant, despite my furnishing the proof of purchase -- from HP (only a packing list).  When they "agreed", it took another 30 minutes because they could NOT send a proper link (URL) to Office 2016.  You are right -- 2016 no longer available. So after 3 failed tries, they gave me Office 2019.  Microsoft correctly stated that HP should have sent me an email containing the URL to download Office 2016, and an Activation Key. They did neither.  I am exhausted, but extremely thankful to all of you folks in this Forum.  Best wishes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation