Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having a problem with the down load and instal of  Version 1703 of W10.  My current OS is W10 Home, v. 1607, OS Build 14393.1593.  A few days back I saw in Settings that the download and instal of 1703 was unsuccessful.  The message said "We can't install some updates because other updates are in progress. Restarting your computer may help, and we'll keep trying to update."  The same thing has happened at least 8 or 9 times.  I tried pausing the downloader by using the commands (admin) net stop wuauserv, net stop bits and net stop dosvc, then manually install 1703 using the Windows 10 Upload Assistant.  This did not work.  It would download up to about 80% then revert back to 1% and start all over again, as if it was hung up in  a loop.  I stopped the Assistant and restarted the uploader service again using command prompt   I don't min not updating to 1703, but have no choice.  I know i can use othe means (metered account, etc), but that does not solve the problem.  I am not an IT person but even I don't think it is a good idea not to deal with this problem. Any help from this community would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK Chimney_83,  here is the process I followed.  

1. I went to the  Microsoft posting on this issue thanks to the link you provided me in your reply to me.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-creator-upda...

2. Andre Da Costa, Community Moderator for that MS Windows Forum had posted a reply which interested me.  I found that Da Costa had published a  Forum Article on this issue " Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Creators Update or Anniversary Update or Not".  In that article he writes:

"Here is a list of direct links to vendor support pages where you can check the make and model of your computer to find out if it is compatible with the Windows 10 Creators Update, Anniversary Update or earlier version. If its not, don’t force it, stick with your current version, contact the vendor by telephone or support forum to find out about support.

If there are no plans to support the Creators Update; or Anniversary Update; or a future Feature Update, your options includes: sticking with the current version of Windows 10, backup then attempt a clean install using the Creators Update or Anniversary Update. Many users have reported a clean install works sometimes, even though the manufacturer does not support it; or consider downgrading to the original version you were running prior to upgrade: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Update 1. Both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with Update will continue to be supported until January 2020 and January 2023 respectively.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/check-this-list-to-deter...

3. I went to the HP website using the link in the above article and found out that my HP Pavilion 17-f053.ca had not been tested by HP for compatability with W10,v.  1703.

4. In Da Costa's article he also provides the links necessary to temporarily hide  the update from the automatic update service. He asks the question "Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?" and provides the answer: "Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates. Click Hide Updates then choose Windows 10 Anniversary Update or Creators Update then click Hide.

See instructions at:

How to Block a Windows 10 Feature Update and Why You Might Need To

You can download it at the following link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 

5. I then  used the above  to arrive at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

The title of the article is "How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10"

The article states: To temporarily prevent the driver from being reinstalled until a new driver fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface to hide and show Windows updates and drivers for Windows 10.  

The following troubleshooter is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center: 
 Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now.

Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.

When you click the download link, you're prompted to open or save wushowhide.diagcab

open or save wushowhide.diagcab prompt

To run the troubleshooter, open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update."

6. I downloaded and installed the above update.  I followed the instructions and am happy to report that my notebook is no longer attempting to udpate my W10 v. 1607, at least for now I should be OK.  This is not an ideal solution.  I am hoping that this willl give enough time for HP to  make drivers etc. available to update W10 v. 1703 and make it compatiblel for that version of the OS.  I won't be holding my breath for that to happen!

So, Chimney_83, your link started this process and I am thankful for you.  I will  even click the Accept as Solution button.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings @John_Smith_II

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to install Creators update on your computer, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you tried to update all the drivers using HP Support Assistant?

Recommend you run HP Support Assistant on your computer to make sure BIOS and other drivers are updated. 

Click here for assistance in using HPSA. 

Once all the drivers are updated, especially BIOS try to install the Creators update. 

Please refer to this Microsoft page for assistance in updating or installing Creators update.

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello there:

I have been in  a long conversation about this issue with another HP Support Agent, Jeet_singh.  I tried to copy some of that thread here.  I tried twice but even though i saw the message that my repliy to you was posted, i could not see it when I opened your posting.  The gist of it is that Jeet_singh suggested  the same thing as you as well las a whole host of other things.  I implemented virtually everiything he suggested but the problem did not go awaiy.  His final suggestion was that I should reset my PC to its original status.  I told him I was not prepared to do that.  If you can find this thread which is in the same forum you can read the details.

Thank yo for your reply.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, found this post on Microsoft website which has a lot of suggestions to resolve issues with Creator update. Please go through the Microsoft page and try the steps that you might have missed. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Chimney_83 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, found this post on Microsoft website which has a lot of suggestions to resolve issues with Creator update. Please go through the Microsoft page and try the steps that you might have missed. 

Keep me posted. 

Thank you very much for pointing out that post on Microsoft website.  I  appreciate it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please do try the steps and let me know which step helped you resolve the issue you are facing. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Chimney_83 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, please do try the steps and let me know which step helped you resolve the issue you are facing. 

Keep me posted. 

I will do that.

HP Recommended

Thank you. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK Chimney_83,  here is the process I followed.  

1. I went to the  Microsoft posting on this issue thanks to the link you provided me in your reply to me.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-creator-upda...

2. Andre Da Costa, Community Moderator for that MS Windows Forum had posted a reply which interested me.  I found that Da Costa had published a  Forum Article on this issue " Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Creators Update or Anniversary Update or Not".  In that article he writes:

"Here is a list of direct links to vendor support pages where you can check the make and model of your computer to find out if it is compatible with the Windows 10 Creators Update, Anniversary Update or earlier version. If its not, don’t force it, stick with your current version, contact the vendor by telephone or support forum to find out about support.

If there are no plans to support the Creators Update; or Anniversary Update; or a future Feature Update, your options includes: sticking with the current version of Windows 10, backup then attempt a clean install using the Creators Update or Anniversary Update. Many users have reported a clean install works sometimes, even though the manufacturer does not support it; or consider downgrading to the original version you were running prior to upgrade: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Update 1. Both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with Update will continue to be supported until January 2020 and January 2023 respectively.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/check-this-list-to-deter...

3. I went to the HP website using the link in the above article and found out that my HP Pavilion 17-f053.ca had not been tested by HP for compatability with W10,v.  1703.

4. In Da Costa's article he also provides the links necessary to temporarily hide  the update from the automatic update service. He asks the question "Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?" and provides the answer: "Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates. Click Hide Updates then choose Windows 10 Anniversary Update or Creators Update then click Hide.

See instructions at:

How to Block a Windows 10 Feature Update and Why You Might Need To

You can download it at the following link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 

5. I then  used the above  to arrive at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

The title of the article is "How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10"

The article states: To temporarily prevent the driver from being reinstalled until a new driver fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface to hide and show Windows updates and drivers for Windows 10.  

The following troubleshooter is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center: 
 Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now.

Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.

When you click the download link, you're prompted to open or save wushowhide.diagcab

open or save wushowhide.diagcab prompt

To run the troubleshooter, open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update."

6. I downloaded and installed the above update.  I followed the instructions and am happy to report that my notebook is no longer attempting to udpate my W10 v. 1607, at least for now I should be OK.  This is not an ideal solution.  I am hoping that this willl give enough time for HP to  make drivers etc. available to update W10 v. 1703 and make it compatiblel for that version of the OS.  I won't be holding my breath for that to happen!

So, Chimney_83, your link started this process and I am thankful for you.  I will  even click the Accept as Solution button.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad to hear that the Microsoft post helped you with your concern. 

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.