Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC; Prod. No.: E8B90UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

In the past I've used the Cyberlink YouCam software that comes installed on my Pavilion Notebook (Win 8.1) for recording clips with audio. For months I've used a Logitech USB headset with a microphone which captured the sound fine. Recently I invested in a higher-end USB microphone by Fifine and wanted to use it in my YouCam recordings; however, it can't seem to pick up any audio with it.

Some troubleshooting that I've done:

- The new microphone is registered as the default recording device. I can record in other programs (Audacity, Sony Vegas) with it, but it's YouCam that records nothing with my video capture.

- The microphone levels are raised as high as they can go.

- In the Options tab of YouCam, I have "Capture with audio" selected.

One thing that seems to absent with this software is the ability to pick which microphone I'd like to use in the settings, but I didn't need to do this with my headset configuration in the past for it to work.

If there are any tips for getting YouCam to recognize my microphone, I'd very much appreciate it.

- Keelan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KToll

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 17-e016dx Notebook and are unable to record using the Cyberlink YouCam via a higher-end USB microphone by Fifine.  You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. 

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this: 

• Does the microphone work fine with another computer or application?
  • Are you still able to record using the old microphone?

While you respond to that. I recommend you to perform the steps as described in detail from this HP document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813

These steps help in resolving various microphone issues.

All the steps in the above HP document need to attempted in the order they are mentioned. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KToll

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 17-e016dx Notebook and are unable to record using the Cyberlink YouCam via a higher-end USB microphone by Fifine.  You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. 

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this: 

• Does the microphone work fine with another computer or application?
  • Are you still able to record using the old microphone?

While you respond to that. I recommend you to perform the steps as described in detail from this HP document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813

These steps help in resolving various microphone issues.

All the steps in the above HP document need to attempted in the order they are mentioned. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response! I've fixed the issue.

As you suggested, I found another computer to test the new microphone and it still worked properly. What i did next was try to use YouCam and record with the old microphone and headset. When that worked, I went through the steps in the document you attached. It seems like plugging the new microphone into the same USB port that I used for my headset was enough to get YouCam to recognize it. I can record video and audio just how I want.

Thanks again for making me aware of the troubleshooting guide.

-Keelan

HP Recommended

@KToll

You're most welcome. 

I'm glad that the suggested solution worked. Technical solutions can only be provided, but it was you who implemented them to perfection. Kudos to you!

It is an honor to share this platform with you.

Take care! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.