Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 & 8000 & dc7900
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi. I don't speak English well, so I use machine translation.
Tech support sent me DVD-R recovery discs. However, recovery from these drives is extremely time-consuming.
Can I of the four ISO to collect a single installation USB Flash?
I'm worried that the recovery system is asking me to change the DVDs...
Simply joining the ISO or extracted folder does not help. Perhaps there is a tool to solve my problem?
Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Is there a file in the "root" folder of each the DVD disks that identifies the disk, e.g., "this is disk #2".

This file could be checked, to ensure that the person does not insert disk #3 when asked to insert disk #2.

Is there any duplication of file/folder names between the disks' contents?

I am guessing that the USB could be loaded:

Root:

* setup.exe

* the "this is disk #1" file

* the "this is disk #2" file

* the "this is disk #3" file

* the "this is disk #4" file

* folder-name from disk #1

* folder-name from disk #2

* folder-name from disk #3

* folder-name from disk #4

You would need to configure the USB to be a "bootable" image.

Maybe, this will work.

HP Recommended

Good afternoon.
I provide you with a screenshot of the contents of the root folders of recovery DVD for HP Compaq 6200/8200 Elite.
As far as I remember, only 2 files with names are duplicated:
SETINFO.log (the content of the text file is the same),
The PRELOAD folder contains files only on the last DVD.

HP8200iso.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, that is not possible.

You are correct. 

If by some miracle, you were able to accomplish combining the 4 DVD's onto one USB flash drive, the scripts built into the DVD's would ask you to remove Disk # and insert Disk #.

Of course you would not be able to do that.

You would have to completely disassemble the DVD images and know exactly where to delete the instructions that wouldn't be necessary for a USB flash drive.

That would take a master PC programmer to make those changes if it was even possible to do so.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

If by some miracle, you were able to accomplish combining the 4 DVD's onto one USB flash drive, the scripts built into the DVD's would ask you to remove Disk # and insert Disk #.

Of course you would not be able to do that.

To repeat what I wrote, the contents of that 'Disk1' file, if present in the "root" directory of the USB, are the "flag" to indicate that the correct "volume" (really, a copy of that DVD volume) are mounted.

--------------- 

Disk 1:

* BOOT
* HP
* PRELOAD
* SOURCES
* BOOTMGR
* PRELOADSIZE
* SETINFO

Disk 1.1:

* HP ----------------------------again! (Are there differently-named files in the two 'HP' folders?)
* SW
* cPCsuppDisc
* Disc1 ----------------  the contents of this file identify this as being what it is

Disk 2:

* PRELOAD  --- which you claim is "empty"
* SETINFO

Disk 3:

* PRELOAD --------- again!
* SETINFO  ------ again, but which you claim is identical
---------------

Are you sure that there are no "hidden" files on the first DVD?

I expect that some of those "hidden" files are using during the initial booting.

It is only "impossible" when you have tried it, and have experimentally determined that is not possible.

Finally, if one to order a "System Recovery Set" from HP, it probably will be shipped on one USB memory-stick, which seems to be evidence that "merging" the 4 DVDs is possible, by the user, in addition to by HP.

It was "impossible" for a Hollywood actor to become USA President, until Ronald Reagan did it.

It was "impossible" for a female candidate for the Presidency to win the popular vote, until HRC was "rooked".

Not to mention for WWE-wrestler Jesse Ventura, or Arnold Schwarzenegger, to become a State Governor.

Need I mention one more unlikely incumbent? :Glasses:

HP Recommended

7-zip does not find hidden files.
The (show hidden files) checkbox is activated in Explorer.

Except the "SETINFO.log " no files of the same name. Including no files with the same name in the folder "HP" (hp).

Unfortunately PC dc7900, 8000, 8200 are very busy during working hours. On other PCs, the installation wizard understands if he shoves the computer of another brand.

HP Recommended

@Renal14 wrote:

7-zip does not find hidden files.
The (show hidden files) checkbox is activated in Explorer.

Except the "SETINFO.log " no files of the same name. Including no files with the same name in the folder "HP" (hp).

Unfortunately PC dc7900, 8000, 8200 are very busy during working hours.

On other PCs, the installation wizard understands if he shoves the computer of another brand.

I do not understand why you are using 7-ZIP, but I never have used that program, and don't know all its capabilities.  So, there may be a good reason.

Given no "duplication" within the two 'HP' folders, one should be able to "merge" the two collection of files into the one folder.

HP Recommended

Good afternoon.
I use 7-zip, because it shows hidden files on external media, to eliminate their inattention.

Still decided to double-check myself and found my mistake. I misinformed you... there is also a file [BOOT]/"boot-noemul.img " in disks 1, 2, 3.
However, the system restore DVDs for the HP 8000 have a completely different structure. I'm powerless (

HP Recommended

> there is also a file [BOOT]/"boot-noemul.img " in disks 1, 2, 3.

Are the 3 files 100% identical ? Size? Date? Content?

HP Recommended

MD5-completely match
Size-too

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.