Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Greetings,

How do I create a table when posting a question?

I've gone into My Account > Preferences and changed "Default editor to use for posts" to "HTML Editor", but the HTML Editor looks exactly the same as the Rich Text Editor.

Thanks,

Shane.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I seem to be stuck in the Rich Text editor. I thought that if I could switch to the HTML editor, I could create a table. I have "Ignore HTML" cleared in Preferences, but it doesn't help.

Shane.

HP Recommended

Create the table in a word processing application.

Then copy and paste the table into your reply or post.

Once it is in there, it can be edited. 

Row 1

Created in word processing App

Copied into my response

Pressing Tab will jump to the next Column

On the last box here, pressing Tab will create a new Row, so create the exact number or Columns you need, but don't worry about the number of Rows, you can add more by pressing tab.

Once you are done and want to add text to the bottom, click on the end of the table, the cursor will show the entire height of the table and then press Enter, it should insert a line and you an start typing like I'm doing here.

2016-02-22_13-27-45.png

This is a good question, one we may consider adding to our First Time Here board, on advanced tips.

Hope this was helpful.

Bill_F

Community Manager

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

I've been trying but when I click the Preview tab I get an error message saying "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

I see you have an HTML tab. How can I get this?

Thanks,

Shane.

HP Recommended

@Shanester wrote:

I've been trying but when I click the Preview tab I get an error message saying "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

I see you have an HTML tab. How can I get this?

Thanks,

Shane.

When you get the HTML error notification, try just tapping "Post" again.  I get that same error a lot when cutting and pasting text.  Often it just goes right through, and looks the same.

Try setting the Default editor back to Rich Text, and uncheck the "Ignore HTML" box.  See if the tab appears.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

"Ignore HTML" is cleared. I've tried switching the editor back to Rich Text and then to HTML again, but I still don't get an HTML tab.

I will try the tables later.

Thanks,

Shane.

HP Recommended

Hey @Shanester

Some features of the editor, like HTML and attaching files are limited to the level you have ahieved. HTML comes with Level 6, so once you reach that level you will have that option.

bill

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Bill,

I'm an "intern". What level is that?

Thanks,

Shane.

HP Recommended

@Shanester wrote:

Bill,

I'm an "intern". What level is that?

Thanks,

Shane.

The number to the right of your screen name is your level, in your case it would be 4.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.