Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I couldn't find the tab "Report Inappropriate Content" but I called HP Support to get a printer problem fixed only to be scammed. Thankfully, I did not buy the products or give any card information. I originally called because my printer wasn't allowing me to print on the front and back but then the lady who went be the name of "Nicole Williams" informed me that my computer was corrupted and people were potentially monitoring my laptop. She was very persistent on trying to get me to buy products to have my computer scanned by technicians assuring me that was the only way this problem could be fixed. However, I told her I would need to talk to my parents before I buy anything but she still kept prying. I have pictures as well as screenshots of what she showed me that was wrong with my computer. The pricing she started out was with the Windows price of $399 and then she told me the HP price was only $299 to have it scanned. When I told her my age, she dropped it down $50. I told her I would still have to ask my parents and she finally let me go, but gave me her "personal" number and extension and told me to call her within the next two hours before her shift ended. I agreed, but took my laptop to Apple to have it looked at and they scanned my computer and found no threat. They told me I had probably been scammed. Nicole Williams tried calling me several times afterwards from on Ohio number. The scary part, is I checked to make sure I had called the real HP Support and I had. I am assuming the system was hacked?? Let me know what other steps I need to take in order to ensure this does not happen to other customers. I had never had this issue with HP until now. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@-Suzi-

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I just got scamed today. When HP calld me it was the number i had saved for HP. I had called them when I had trouble with Windows 10. I purchased a support system. So when he called it seemed legit. Asked for permission to get in my computer. The had me purchase a itune card $100. should have been a clue. Scanned my computer found out my password had be hacked, couldn't get in my computer. Said I needed to purchase something else for $100 that's when I said oh no. Called the geek squad was told it was a scam.
HP Recommended

@motherosey2

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Sounds familiar....they too started quoting me 'recovery software' for $200, $400 or $600 to recover data!
HP Recommended
He said his name was Derek, he gave me this number 1 888 303-2813. Now I am afraid to answer any calls from HP. The first amount he told me was $400. I said no way. So he gav3 mea special.
HP Recommended
Did Derek sound like Pradeep:)))?. 'SAM ', my first technician and team leader was as much Sam as I am Barbara...who are they fooling. They hide their real names and think they are fooling us.
HP Recommended
He sounded like he was from India. Nice name he picked. I will give him that. I think he has tried to call me back. I tried to block.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you have your computer scanned for viruses? If not, I would definitely do so ASAP just to make sure they didn't plant anything in your computer when they had access. There are probably inexpensive software that does that. I took mine to Mac and the put a Malware program so I can scan whenever I feel like something may be wrong with my computer. 

HP Recommended
I ended up taking computer to Best Buy Geek Squad.Mr Derek had hacked and locked up my computer so I and geek squad could not get in. They ended up rebooted to original windows. Now need to reinstall all my programs.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.