Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

To: Dragon-Fur,  or any knowlegeable person with a solution:  while writing to you in a forum, a pc user found a solution on his own, which was to rename HPDIA.exe to xHPDIA.exe to stop an error comment from posting immediately after all icons appeared, stating that the Download and Install Assistant had stopped working, therefore - a need to close the program. This file rename or disable stopped the comment from appearing.

I need to know step by step how to rename the HPDIA.exe file. The path is Program Files(x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules\HPDIA.exe I have the same problem and fear or do not desire to guess how to re-name x86 files.

It does no good to uninstall and re-install the latest versions of the HP Support Assistant and the Support Framework.

I am totally baffled why the HP Support site will not provide a download for the HP Download and Install Assistant module. I feel this would FIX the problem  and keep me from needing to disable the damaged HPDIA module from working- or By-pass the problem!

P.S. Please  tell me how to place this request in the correct forum  where  the experts are likely to see it!    Thks, Wympy

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @wimpyIII, I'll ping Dragon_Fur for you!

@Dragon-Fur, your phone is ringing!   😉

My own recent experience with problems with the HP Support Assistant were solved by the method you mentioned - uninstall/reinstall HPSA and the Support Framework.   😕

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Hello WyreNut, thanks for the reply. As I noted in my post, the re-install did not stop the problem for me. I uninstalled HP Support Assistant and now have version 8.3.34.7, and version 12.5.32.37 of the HP Support Solutions Framework. However, the HPDIA module continues to stop working and I believe it is a third module, separate from the above two modules.

The original post to Dragon-Fur was long with several unsuccessful solution attempts and replies and ended with NO-SOLUTION other than rename/disable the HPDIA module. Other internet postings provide about a half-dozen versions of statements that appear when this problematic HPDIA module stops working. In 2015 a security flaw in the Framework was patched but resulted in high cpu usages and further HP versions of the Framework module have resulted.

I sincerely hoped HP would support their HPDIA module with a fix because it is used to download drivers, but I guess I will have to be happy- waiting to learn how to by-pass this HP Service for downloading drivers, as I requested in my original posting. Thanks for alerting Dragon-Fur for me, or anyone else may tell me how to re-name the HPDIA.exe file.  Wympy 

HP Recommended

@wimpyIII

I cannot find in my own notes any mention of renaming the HPDIA as a means to fix HP Support Assistant when it won't download and / or install HP Drivers.  That does not mean it won't work -- it just means the idea is not in my notes.

Consider / Try something similar to the following:

• Set HPSA to Notify (as opposed to automatic update / install)
  • Remove the HPSA from the Taskbar
  • Perhaps stop the HP Support Solutions Framework service (Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > (Double-Click) Services > scroll down, find, right-click and stop the service)
  • Assuming you can do so, I would suggest navigate to the containing folder, Right-Click and make a copy of the HPDIA file.  Assuming the copy is successful, attempt to remove (delete) the original.
  • Restart the computer and log in

Commentary

My own experience is that HPSA works for some people and some networks -- and not for others.  This is irrespective of the version of the HP Support Assistant that is installed.  

There is a lot of room for error / failure:  personal network configuration oddities, ISP settings in home network, router firmware (need for update), failure of the HP Server to provide Drivers for the current OS (program is smart enough to fail on this -- it may not be smart enough to fail completely or cleanly), failure within the long path from the Server to your local network, failure of permission settings, irregularities in the File System... 

In general, I do not use the HPSA for installations nor do I depend on it to indicate which drivers I should install.  At most, I use the HPSA as a guideline for "drivers of interest".

My own preferred workaround includes setting the HPSA to notify (list but no download / install) -- if the HPSA can at least give a list of drivers, I check those drivers first against the versions of the Drivers already installed, read the description of any driver I am considering for update, and then make the decsion whether that Driver is appropriate for my situation.  If decision = yes:  Download and install the Driver

If the HPSA does not provide the HP Driver list, I use the system driver page in much the same way - check / examine / decide / install.

Remember that we are a community forum -- we are not HP Technical Support; as such, all our advice is necessarily an expression of personal opinion.

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, and examples

Updates – When and How

Sections - various, including:

• HP Support Assistant
    • Subsection: HPSA > Update / Download and Install

• HP Support Assistant
    • Subsection: HPSA – Messages that “bug your trip”

• HP Support Assistant
    • Subsection: HPSA – View and Delete Messages

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thks Dragon-Fur for the reply. The original post was from ericbro posted at 9:25 am on 7-7-2016 and titled "HP Install and Download Assistant not Working" ( the posting title words: Install and Download are reversed from Download and Install Assistant-for HPDIA). Ericbro discovered the following file disable himself and at 4:11 pm posted below. Your close to the reply was at 4:41 pm.

Re: HP Install and Download Assistant not Working

• ‎07-07-2016 04:11 PM

Looking at the Resource Monitor was the way to go.  I did a cold re-start, then without closing the "...stopped working" box, I looked at the Resource Monitor and found HPDIA.exe.  It's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules.  I renamed it xHPDIA.exe and restarted.  No more error message.

Thanks for your help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I delete HPDIA, I may likely not ever be able to obtain it again, especially from HP. I want to retain it and just re-name it, to keep it from being called with its attempted execution, which I feel is a more secure approach. There was a security flaw in the Framework Module that HP patched in 2015 as a version 11.... The patch caused high CPU usage and over heating and more HP versions resulted, i.e. 12.0 and 12.5. I believe I have a Dec. 2012 version of HPDIA that may have been corrupted prior to the 2015 Framework security patch, so I am uncomfortable when the HPDIA tries to run and then stops, right after icon start-up.  I desire to rename it xHPDIA.exe as ericbro did. Can someone or anyone please tell me how to rename the Win7 (x86) HPDIA.exe file? I will do it at my own risk. Thks for your help, Wympy

HP Recommended

@wimpyIII

Have you tried just right-click on the program executable and "rename"?

Final comments on the subject:

Assuming you manage to rename the file, ruin the file / folder, damage the program, the road is not a "dead end".  HP does not hide this software away from you; you can restore it, install it, remove and install it, or just uninstall it and leave it off the system (HPSA is NOT a mandatory program).

• The  HP Support Assistant program is recoverable if you have first created a Restore Point.

Create a Restore Point: System Restore XP OR System Restore W7 OR System Restore W8-W10

• The program is like any other -- you can uninstall it > reboot > and then install a fresh copy.

HP Support Assistant

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

• Dragon document provides links to HPSA "older version" should that be of interest to those that cannot live without "Tune-up".  Understand that running an older version may not work on Windows 10.

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.