Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roseville
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP Tech Support overcharged me for sales tax

HP Recommended

I placed a order for parts with an HP Tech Support Rep (Offshore). The rep explained that the benefit of purchasing the part from HP was that I would get free shipping and free technical support for installing the part. This sounded good, so I completed the order. The part was 71.25 and the total was 87.98. I said what is the extra money for, and he said "taxes", and I said "California Sales Tax" and he said "just taxes". After I hung up I calculated and realized i'd just paid 23.5% sales tax and thought "Wait, I don't live in Europe! What just happened??"

I called back and talked to a different rep and asked for an itemization and he said it included $6.70 for sale tax and $5.95 for shipping. I said, not only did the rep promise free shipping, but HP's system miscalculated my sales tax. The correct sales tax for Placer County, California, is $5.88 (8.25%), so I was overcharged $.82 for sale tax. This might not sound like much, but if HP's system miscalculates sales tax, multiply that by however many customers you want. That's a big problem with a lot of money going in the wrong bucket! How often do you double-check your sales tax calculation, really?

So I mentioned this to the rep, and he said, sorry, i only understand technical issues, i don't really understand how the system calculates tax and shipping. He said he would refer my case to the refund department.

I asked to escalate the call to the supervisor. She pretty much said the same thing that she only deals with technical issues, not billing issues. She referred my case, indicating that I would hear back from them in 24-48 hours.

To me, it's obviously not the $.82 that matters. It's the fact that HP can overcharge for sales tax and then brush it off like it's no big deal. And that they can promise me free shipping, and then when they charge me for shipping, tell me that I'll have to wait 24-48 hours to discuss a refund.

When you are taking somebody's money, and charging them the incorrect amount (twice!), I expect HP to be much more circumspect about dealing with the issue immediately.

PS This may be in the wrong forum, but all of the other forums are product specific, and this has nothing to do with a product.

1 REPLY 1
WendyM
Level 7
1,018 917 21 140
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Consumer Support Community. This community is for customers to connect and share solutions on HP products directly relating to these message boards. If you have additional or direct feedback for HP about their products or services, please use the link below.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

If you have other questions and concerns, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks!

Wendy M - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.

Rules of Participation

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation