Did you mean: 
lostsowl
Level 4
87 64 2 25
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP ignored Forum Privacy settings_no email contact

HP Recommended

When I signed up for Community forums a few months ago, I unchecked all "ways HP may contact you."  At http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences , then click link

"Contact Information."

Where it says:

Contact Preferences

HP occasionally communicates information that may interest you (product, service, and support information, special offers, or market research invitations). Before you choose, visit our Online Privacy Statement to learn how we use automatic data collection tools and your personal information to tailor your communications.

Please indicate below how HP may contact you.

There are options for email, phone, postal mail - yes or no.  HP ignores "No" selections & sends advertising anyway.  "NO" means NO!  VAST majority of respected forums I'm registered on (100's) DO NOT send advertising, after choosing not to receive any.  But HP is "special."

Yes, HP & Associates' email advertising includes "opt-out" links.  I get tons of emails (many slip through spam filters of my ISP), imitating real companies, like my ISP.  They ALSO have opt out links.

Many users blindly click such links, that appear to be coming from legitimate sites, like HP or HP's Snapfish.  These are often FAKE emails w/ fake links, that CAN do very malicious things.

Don't say, "Anything coming from HP / it's associates are "safe."  That's NOT the issue.  The issue is time spent to determine if email IS legitimate, BEFORE clicking that opt-out link, AFTER I already made my preferences known.

I can't block everything from HP, or I won't get important support email, email notices of replies for the forums, etc.

I personally know several people that have clicked "opt-out" links from sources that seemed "legit," - even ones familiar to them.  Some of those WERE from legit companies, that had no morals or ethics regarding spamming. 

It was one of the worst things they ever did.  I've spent hrs helping friends remedy the damage done from clicking opt-out links from "legitimate sources."

That's how people get infected or every spammer known to man gets their email address!   Yes, I know how to look at the full header & determine the email's real origin.  I don't WANT to spend time doing that, when I ALREADY opted out of email contact from HP (about non forum business).

Having to come to a community forum to find answers because HP's support either can't (often don't, for me) or are mind numbingly slow at giving some resolution, is already a slap in the face.

Then HP ignoring privacy / contact preferences in the forum settings, after their poor / slow tech support (per MANY users) drives many to come here, is adding insult to injury.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation