Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I simply followed the instructions for setting up my new printer. It took me to 123.hp.com/setup, which got me to a tech support person who said he would set it up for me; all I had to do was give him control of my computer, which I did, because this was HP, right? Then he had trouble getting it to set up, so he had to bring in an expert who could fix it temporarily for $99.99, or permanently for $199.99. Or $149.99 if I was a senior. When I said that $99.99 was my limit, he said they could do the permanent thing for the original price. Now I'm wondering if I've actually given them permanent control of my computer. and/or all of my personal information, passwords, etc. The payment was actually made to something called Techserve 60, supposedly based in Idaho Falls, ID, but he definitely did not have an Idaho accent. 

Help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@kjoy4433

I regret to say, it was a scam.

Wrong website.

There are a bunch of these - all the sites are just a little bit different from the actual HP site.

It is a shame, really - legitimate companies are plagued by vermin.

The HP website does not have the extra verbiage at the end of the name.

123.hp.com - Printer setup from the HP® Official site

https://123.hp.com/

Do what you can -- change everything, close the door after-the-fact.   

I am sorry this happened to you.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.