Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi! i'm always trying to learn and pass forward.  I'm not here to cause trouble. I have some things that I would like to have confirmed or denied. I do not own a HP computer at this time, but several of the residents in my village do. I have observed some great advice to community members from some smart people here on the forum. I have some things that I have learned from other forums and I want to share them. I would like to have comments from all the smart members here on the community forum. OK here we go!!

Let's say we have a PC that won't boot into windows for some reason. Now IMHO, we have software or hardware problems.

This is what I do. I down load a linux program. It's called Pupply Love.http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

This is a ISO file that you burn to a CD. It is a live CD and you can boot with it. You do not need a HD.

Even if your PC has no hard disk (ex, broken hard disk), you can still boot Puppy via CD or USB and continue working. Old PCs that no longer work with new systems will still work good-as-new with Puppy.

Now IMHO, you have proved that your monitor,power supply, and CPU are working. So now the HD is left. There are many ways to test your HD. One that comes to my mind is seatools dos.http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

One way to test your memory is memtest86.http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

memtest and seatools dos are both live CD's and should boot even if you don't have a working OS.

Another live CD is the system repair CD  and the system recovery discs that you should have created on day one.

I realize that HP has some great tools and I'm hoping that a guru will reply to this thread and add their comments. This is the way I learn. Computers can be a pain in the neck, but us humans can hold our own if we are willing to learn and pass forward to others.

Dokie!!

PS I take criticisms pretty well! This thread can be deleted if it is out of line or does not meet the standards of the forum. Some times I get a little windy and carried away.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi ! I'm sure all the members here will agree, "its easier to fix a PC when you have it in front of you". I would like to add some more to this post.

If the lights and fans were running, I would try to enter the safe mode (F8).http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-safe-mode#1TC=windows-7 There are many tools available in safe mode. You may be able to solve your problem in the safe mode.

If you can't get into safe mode, you can use the system repair disc. You should have made at least one of these from day one and tested to see if you could boot with it. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-a-system-repair-disc-to-restore-windows.html. There are several options here that you can try.

I'm sure I will leave some thing out. I'm hoping someone will reply and fill in those things.

If your hardware is good and nothing has solved your problem, it maybe time to restore back to factory settings.

PS If your are smart you will create a image of your OS with the windows feature or better yet with a third party App like Macrium Reflect after you recover your computer. I'm hoping for suggestions and comments.That's the way I learn new things

Performing An HP System Recovery – Windows 8

Performing An HP System Recovery - Windows 7.

Performing An HP System Recovery - Windows Vista.

Performing An HP System Recovery - Windows XP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for these @Dokie ! I am sure some people will find your links helpful in the proper sub-forums! :cathappy:

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

@Russel-E wrote:

Thanks for these @Dokie ! I am sure some people will find your links helpful in the proper sub-forums! :cathappy:

Hi Thank you sir! You just made this old mans day!

Dokie!

HP Recommended

In terms of BootCD's. You might want to check out these awesome Ultimate Boot CD's that I've used in the past.  Really excellent for testing just about anything you need supplied under a simple pre-environment.  One of the best in my opinion.  It helped me resolve issues even when I couldn't have access to a hard drive in the past.

Falcon Four

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Leo! I have a Hiren's boot CD. They have gone rouge and have given their software to down load managers. I do not recommend them any more for that reason. Down load managers cause me all kinds of grief here at Golden Oaks. Every time I get a call from a senior that their home page has changed I find one of these down load managers is causing their problem. I will check out Faicon Four.

When I click on your Hiren's link,It takes me to this down loade manager. Please notice what it says just below the down load. This is a bad dude. I put up with them all the time here a Golden Oaks. If you click on learn more, you will see what I'm talking about.

Capture48.JPGCapture48.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi Leo! If you can stop these down load managers, you will be my hero.

Dokie!!

PS I have tried my best to warn members here on the forum, but I haven't got a lot of support so far.

I have my figers crossed that the new team will get-er-done:smileywink:

HP Recommended

Dokie, this issue seems severely weird.  Try these tools.  I think you might, just might be dealing with a rootkit (undetected virus).  Please let me know if these links get re-directed to some odd download manager or odd zip program website.

Malwarebytes

Superantispyware

Download the free version of malwarebytes and run a full scan on it.

Also download the free edition of Superantispyware and also run a full scan.  It picks up a lot of undetected/missed malware.

Make sure that you update the definitions for both peices of software before you begin scanning.

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Leo! I really appreciate your replies. I mean no disrespect and I can tell that you know what your doing. I'm the king of malware. I deal with them here on a daily basis. Yesterday I removed over 900 malware from a seniors PC. I have MBAM running full time on my PC. I use Superantispyware on demand. I use Online scanners ESET, MSE,  andTrend House Call.

Here's brand new rootkit program from Malwarebyes. My PC is clean. I'm talking about computers that I service here in my retirement village.

Dokie!!

Thank you for your replies. You are appreciated!

http://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/

PS The answer to your question.Is ;"no I do not get redirected" when I click on those links.' They have not joined the rouge software that uses these down load managers. I know what I'm saying. I'm really good at what I do.

Thank you for your interest and your great replies.

PS2 If your PC is infected with a rootkit, it is better to restore back to factory. They are the worst of the malware.

HP Recommended

I hope I'm not sounding like a know it all. I know malware. I know how to deal with it. I see it all the time here at Golden Oaks. There is very little malware that defeats me. It's really getting to be a huge problem on the Internet, but the government could care less. I have sent my congressman several letters. No response. It's all about $$$$

Dokie!

I have many secrets that I may share one day here on the forum. Let's just say this is not my first rodeo.

Thanks Leo for all your replies. I wish you and the new crew the very best.

I'm very thankful that I'm allowed to post these comments on the HP forum.

I did not come here to cause trouble. I came here to help, learn, pass it on and make new friends

Dokie!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.