Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Last week I updated the BIOS of my Omni 10 5600ea after noticing that HP had released a new one for Windows 10. Upon restart I was met with this message:

"Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk (3FO)"

So I tried the recovery SD card that came with the tablet and no luck. I tried entering the BIOS settings to roll back to the previous version but no luck. Can't even get into the BIOS settings. I also tried to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and 10 from a USB I had created. And again, no luck.

So at this stage it is pretty clear there is a problem with the hard drive. After checking the official HP support forums, I find numerous other people with the same problem. All getting the same message and all after updating their BIOS to the latest version.

If you follow this link (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/HP-Omni-10-5601TW-Tablet-won-t-boot-after-BIOS-update/t... you will find 15 pages of people discussing the problem. If you look at the rest of your Windows Tablets forum, you will find numerous other posts from people experiencing the exact same issue, all after the BIOS update.

A few days later, the updated version of the BIOS disappeared from the HP website. Very odd thing to happen if nothing was wrong with it.

I finally get through to someone in customer service, who upon reading my e-mail to them, informs me that I've already done all the troubleshooting they would recommend and it is a problem with the hard drive. But it is definitely not the BIOS update that has caused it. I point out to him that the problem started directly after the update, I'm not the only one having it and that the update has since been removed from your site. But he again tells me it is not the fault of HP.

Now, as my tablet is about 20 months old, I am outside of the warranty (1 years manufacturer warranty in the UK) and my only options are to pay for the repair or buy a new tablet. He even offers me an insultingly low discount if I choose to buy a new one.

I am transferred to the sales department at this stage as guy number one does not know how much the repair costs. The sales fellow then informs me that it will be £229 to get the tablet repaired. An amount that is over two thirds what I paid for the tablet when I bought it new. I can even buy a new one on Amazon right now for £199. Every time I offer a counter argument I am told my only two options are to pay for the repair or buy a new tablet (something that he is very pushy about).

So, I would like to know why my tablet stopped directly after the BIOS update? And, if it is not the fault of the BIOS update, then why am I not the only one who is having this exact, very specific problem after updating the BIOS? And finally, if there was nothing wrong with the BIOS update, why was it removed a few days later from your website?

I'm finding kind of ridiculous that I'm expected to either pay for the damage caused by the BIOS update, buy a new tablet or just live with the fact that my tablet is broken.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DanielPH

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you Kevin, that is very good of you :generic:

HP Recommended

Did you get any response?  I too have the same problem.  HP BIOS has bricked my device!

Keith

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.