Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have been searching for close to two (2) months as to why I cannot log-in to HP Passport or HP Forums. I've received a few responses that supposedly would provide a solution, but as always nothing works. I have no idea what HP has stored in their data base but every time I try to log-in I get the error saying my user id or password is incorrect. I've even tried resetting both but nothing works. Guess HP has other more important things to do than finding a solution to a problem being experienced by a "die hard" HP customer. Maybe time to look at my computer purchasing options.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

1st, clarify what you wrote:

This is using IE.

I clicked the Forgot Password lihk, reset to a new password and was able to log-in to Passport but couldn't get to the Forums. [what does this mean?] It stayed on the Passport log-in page. I used my ID (Khone) and the forgot password link, reset the password, but still couldn't get to the forums.

Is the paragraph below "This is using IE," refer to the IE results, or does that statement refer to paragraph above it?  If below it, for clarity, use something to signify which.  Like, "This is using IE:.  Or, "Following is using IE"

I tried logging in w/ IE 9.  Even while also logged in w/ Firefox, it let me login.   It then took me to this page:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Forum/ct-p/about

How do you get to the forums from login page?  When you say, "couldn't get to the forums," what do you see / what does IE show / not show, at that time?

Do you click the link at top of page "Discussion Boards" & choose a sub forum from the drop list?  Do you see that link in IE & can you click the drop list & choose a forum?

My guess is your IE settings prevent redirecting from the Passport login to the main page.

Could be as simple as pop up blocker; something about being redirected from an https site to http; many other settings.

There are many.  It could well be some change that Norton (shudder) made to IE "to protect you."

A main question is,

1) why would you want to use IE?  When I use it - for TEST purposes (having no addons, no special restrictive settings), it is far slower (in every respect) than Fx - on a VERY fast PC & a fairly fast DSL connection.

2) IE is targeted more by hackers & security holes are quite often slower to get patched

Why waste time trying to figure out what's wrong w/ IE when you're better off - in many ways - not using it?

3) Uninstall Norton (get their complete uninstaller utility(ies) from their site, for your Norton products, completely uninstall all of it - especially any security type products, AND NEVER LOOK BACK.

Use Fx or Chrome (chrome if you don't care about privacy) & get a decent AV / FW product.

Kaspersky Internet Security - KIS - is what i've used for ~ 7 yrs & never had any real problems.  I get if free after rebates, every yr, when they offer through Frys.com (or retail store), on Newegg.com, etc.

There are some pretty good free ones (not quite as many features).  Go to sites like Neowin.net or Wilders Security forums for user ratings of free & paid AV or AV + FW suites.

Here's a list of security products independent testing labs:

AV-Comparatives.org - Anti Virus indep. Comparatives AV-Comparatives.org_Links to Detection Tests AV-Test.org Firewall Guide.com_Security & Utility Suites FirewallGuide.com_home ICSA Labs Certification Virus Bulletin West Coast Labs_AV Testing_Checkmark

If you want good, trouble free, secure password managers that will auto type login data, trash the Norton one & use one of 2 great, very popular, free, open source PW managers.

Password Safe;

Keepass Password Safe (it has ability to recognize IF the login page you're on matches one in the DB & you just hit shortcut keys - like Ctrl + T, & auto type data.

Plus, both are VERY secure & free (but donate, if you like them).  Both have forums where you can actually get answers & both are on Sourceforge.net.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have escalated this issue but haven't heard anything back from them, yet.  I will let you know when a solution has been found.

Want to help? Become an Expert!

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I appreciate your efforts.

HP Recommended

Question, when you are presented with the HPP signon page, is your browser pre-filling your password?  Have you tried typing the password again (instead of taking the pre-typed in one)?

And then, I need to ask another question but first just to clarify: when you see "khone" here that is your forums ID.  But to sign in here (or any other HP pages that require a login) you go through HP Passport.  Your id there is your email address.

First of all, I want to know if you've cleared all of your cookies, turned off any browser extensions used for passwords (you'd mentioned you're using Norton?), and finally shut your browser completely down and bring up  a new iteration.  If you have some sort of cookie management software installed I'd recommend turning that off as well.

I need to know which browser(s) you're using, version, etc.

This issue is an odd one (which is why its not clear yet even where the issue lies) because there are two software platforms here, the forums and the HPP signin.  Once you're seeing yourself logged in here (on the forums, when you see your "khone" at the top of the page, you should be getting kicked back to HPP like is happening.  If it is the forums software, I'll have to open a ticket with them but right now the issue is being looked at by the HPP folks (who wanted to know the first question above, about the pre-filled password).

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hello CalvinP. Once again, I'm able to access the forum with my user id Khone in the upper right and I can respond to you.

I don't know where to problem lies. Once yesterday, I was able to enter my user id/password (from Norton) into the log-in page and it took me to the forums. There I clicked on log-in and it took me right back to the Passport sign-in page. For some reason, I'm unable to log-in to the forums from the forums page.

Right now, I'm using Chrome to respond to you. However, using Chrome is a "crap-shoot" because when I open it, I have to do a search for HP Support Forums and a multitude of listings are there. Sometimes I pick the right one, sometimes I don't. Right now, I am leaving Chrome on-line at this site. I tried copying the url (from this site) and pasting it into the IE browser and when I click on Go, it opens the Forums page but I'm not logged in. If I try to log-in, it takes me to the HP Passport page. Don't have any idea why I can't log-in and the only way I can access the forums is by doing a Google search. I will try that, using IE and see what happens.

Thanks for your efforts

HP Recommended

Bookmark this page: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/  (in chrome. type Ctrl-D).

That is the home page for the forums, once bookmarked you shouldn't have to search to find your way here anymore.

Did  you try turning off all browser extensions?  What is this Norton tool that you're using?  Can it be turned off?

Since you told me that you were able to access the forums just fine on your older computer, that leads me to believe there is something on your new one that is causing this, we just need to figure out what.

Yes, if you aren't logged in here in IE cutting/pasting the URL from Chrome to IE will put you through Passport login again, but you should remain logged in when logged in.  

Its almost like you have something in IE that isn't allowing cookies to be set.  Have you checked your IE settings?

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thank you CalvinP.

I used the link you gave and pasted it into the Chrome browser. What came up was HP Passport. I typed in my ID and what I though was my password. When that didn't work, I clicked on Forgot Password. I then typed in a new password then continue. The log-in page came up and I entered my ID and the new password and here I am, logged-in to the forums.

I will close this out, without logging-out, and try it with IE and see what happens.  Hopefully, it will work.

HP Recommended

Well, I tried it with IE and it doesn't work. I pasted the same link in the IE browser and the HP Forums page opened with the Register or Log In @ the top. I clicked on log-in and HP Passport came up. I didn't open the Norton auto log-in. Rather, i typed my id and new password then continue. Two things happend. 1st got the error password or id incorrect. Tried again and it recycled back to the empty id/password page. Again, typed my id and new password and same thing.

So, apparently there's something in IE that isn't right.

As for being able to log-in on my old computer - yes. However, right after I got my new one I was able to log-in with it also. For some reason, something happened in-between my log-ins. I was able to log-in several time with the new computer then didn't try for a few days. Then, the next time I tried is when the problems "cropped-up".

Don't have any answers why it works with Chrome but not IE.

Thanks for your time and help.

HP Recommended

Possibly, if on the Passport main sign in page, you clicked "remember my ID on THIS computer" on the old computer AND on the new one, it either confuses the forum software, or it becomes "suspicious" & locks one computer out.

Now, how you remedy that, I'm not sure.  I don't know if it's only storing cookies & nothing else, or if the system retains info on the actual machine + user name, so it's only going to allow one machine w/ that name.

Don't know the answer -  except accts get screwed up on forums all the time.  Usually, an admin has to reset or unlock them.

HP Recommended

I just received two emails saying I had a response to my original post. I opened the link and it took me to the Forums and when I click on log-in, it takes me to the Passport Log-in page. No matter what ID/Password I enter, it isn't accepted.

This is using IE.

I clicked the Forgot Password lihk, reset to a new password and was able to log-in to Passport but couldn't get to the Forums. It stayed on the Passport log-in page. I used my ID (Khone) and the forgot password link, reset the password, but still couldn't get to the forums.

Now, if I use Chrome, I use the link provided by CalvinP and paste that in the browser and it takes me right to the Forums page where I'm already logged-in.

If I don't use the link and type HP Forums in the search block, I can get to the Forums page where I'm already logged-in.

I guess there is something in IE that is causing the problem. Even though I've cleared everything (history,  disabled pop-up blocker, cookies, etc.) as well as not opening my Norton Internet Security auto-log-in, I still cannot log-in the the Forums using IE.

Any additional ideas?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.