Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhyNeedAccount
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Poor Customer Support Strategy

HP Recommended

This may just sound like someone complaining, which I suppose it is, but this is intended as genuine feedback.

First of all, as far as I can tell, in order to scan with my printer, I need to use the HP Smart App. In order to use the HP Smart App, I need to create an HP account. That is ridiculous. I can print without an account; why can't I scan without an account?

Secondly, in order to engage actively with customer support (not an FAQ or a chat bot, but a real person/community), it seems my only option is to  register my machine, create a display name, and post in a forum. There's no support phone number I can find nor a support email address available. That is also ridiculous and archaic. I recommend you adopt a better support strategy for your customers.

At this rate, I will not be purchasing HP products in the future. These irritating inconveniences, along with expensive ink that barely lasts (even on draft print settings), makes HP printers an incredibly poor value proposition.

If any of my understandings as stated above are incorrect, please correct me. 

1 REPLY 1
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
33,149 32,627 3,042 11,023
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@WhyNeedAccount 

Welcome to the HP Community.

Your assumptions about HP Smart are perhaps incorrect.

Ink

There is little worth in joining in a discussion about  the cost of ink - HP provides a subscription model for those who wish to take advantage of the possible benefits.  Personally, I purchase ink when I need it.  Ink is not a "on my radar" item.

HP Smart

It is true that HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP account credentials.

Doing so provides access for the optional Cloud Storage options AND access to the Share features.

Sign in is required on both the PC / MacOS version and the Mobile versions of the application.

I would guess you are upset over the PC "Windows" or the MacOS version of HP Smart - everyone expects to sign into practically anything on a mobile device - complaining about that aspect is rather like pushing water up hill...

So - what about Windows??

HP Smart is NOT a mandatory application.

What?

In almost every case, for almost every supported HP Printer,

There are Scan methods / software / programs / applications that do NOT require any sign-in.

What is available,

What works,

What you should or can do,

Depends on the Printer model,

The Operating System and version,

What you are trying to accomplish,

and

What you are willing to do to get what you want.

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation