Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 30L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OK, I don't even know from where to begin, I ordered the new Intel based Omen 30L almost the moment that this specific configuration showed up on the site and waited patiently for a month to receive the computer. Quick note, great work on the redesign and the all the positive engineered additions for this new version of the Obelisk.

When I originally configured the 30L I made all the selections that I wanted and left the memory with the default listed on the site 8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz with the idea (and I am sure that most people that buy that configuration would also have) that I can upgrade the memory almost instantly with my own HyperX Fury 8x2 3200mhz kits, but when I received the computer all the problems started:

I tested 3 different memory kits, one from Kingston HyperX Fury 8x2 3200mhz CL17, one the same but CL16 and one from Ballistics by MIcron with 3600mhz and CL16, all Intel XMP certified all with the default voltage required and specked for Intel Z490 chipset that is on the 30L. None of those memories were able to go to 3200mhz, as on the stock memory or as advertised by HP, all of them were defaulting to their none XMP speeds. 

As probably most of you are aware the BIOS is almost completely locked so there is no option to even activate XMP, all the overclocking is done via HP Omen Command Center, which is not ideal, but also not horrible, but, and again a big one, there are only two options for memory adjustments there, the default 2933mhz or the "OC" 3200mhz, which of course are not working with any other tested memory but the stock one from HP!

Furthermore, inspecting the stock memory, its showing that it is indeed Kingston 3200mhz DDR4 with CL18/21/21, and once the OC profile is activated in HP-OCC (Omen Command Center, for shorter abbreviation) it actually is using JDEC and not XMP!?! Why? with timings of 22/22/22... Where is the XMP HP?

Even furthermore, as no other memory is possible to achieve the 3200mhz, I decided to contact HP and see if I can purchase at least another 8GB stick, same as the stock, but shock again - not available on the HP parts site, not available on multiple other third party sites, as if this memory is something unique and not used by anyone else! Even Kingston themselves are not selling it, no Amazon, No NewEgg and no Ebay.

After days of tracking down and calling different HP departments and representatives I was told by one of them that 8 GB of the same ram will cost me $160!!!! $160 for 8 GB that is no more then $45-50 at the most, I was honestly prepared to pay double as its HP "genuine" part, but 4 times more expensive? Come on HP! 

My first question is, why would HP not allow you to upgrade the most simple upgrade that anyone can do, memory? I have 25 years behind my back with computer hardware, but if I give the memory to my 10 years old kid, she would be able to replace it.

Why is the XMP profile not available in the bios, I am not asking for timings and voltages, but simple enable and disable switch for that XMP profile to be enabled and disabled?!?

Third, why would you sell a brand new highly desired and expected Intel 10 gen based configuration and not have a reasonable option for your customers to upgrade their memory? 

This is the first time I have ever seen anything like that, I own multiple HP computers at the moment and many in the past, never had a problem with upgrading any part, ever!

Last, why are there no aftermarket alternatives for the customer to upgrade themselves, HP is advertising easy access to the internal components to all of their 25L and 30L's, what was the idea behind that, for us just open and look inside? If its marketed towards PC enthusiasts, you would expect them to upgrade and modify, one of the easiest upgrades along side the storage and GPUs is the memory, why are we locked at the memory that comes with it? What if I have ordered 2x8 gb of the same ram, but later want to expand to 2x16 or 4x8, I cant imagine that anyone will pay HP ransom money for 8gb - $160  and 16gb at $324 !

So the dilemma is just return the desktop back to HP and let them deal with the issues that will come in the future, or get anyone there on their engineering department to create a BIOS that has an XMP options, or at least expand the memory possibilities.

Its really a shame creating a beautiful product like the 30L  and ruin the experience with this kind of a petty problems.

I can probably return and forget about all that, but I think the rest of the customers deserve answers and better support when they spend over $1000 for a computer that is marketed for enthusiasts and gamers. So will make a series of videos on YT and contact my friend Steve over at GamersNexus as well, just to make sure that we give a little more public awareness for this major and at the same time petty issue.  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@hwsense, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your kind reply, I have one more option to test very soon and will report back. Hopefully I am right about this one, after checking with few other owners of the new 30L, although all of them are AMD configurations users, I reached to the conclusion, and again hopefully that works, is that if I install the ram (HX432C16FB3AK2/16 the one used in those AMD based ones and Intel with RGB configured ram) prior the initial start of the computer and Windows installation, I suspect that the HP OCC will recognize it and install the proper version of the OCC and SDK that is needed in order to control and adjust this specific ram. 

I am hoping that works since installing it after the initial boot and Windows installation, this HyperX Fury ram is not being recognized, thus making it default to it's stock speeds and not being able to control it at all. 

HP Recommended

OK that didn't work out, can anyone please provide the HP OCC and SDK versions that are used on those 30L intel based configurations with HyperX Fury RGB kits?  It has to be the version, I see people only that have it with an option to control that memory and not only the OC but lightning as well. I really dont want to ship it back to HP and have to re-order again. 

HP Recommended

Hey, did you ever get a helpful reply?  I have the same issue.  Bought another 8GB stick and it won't run at 3200MHz.

HP Recommended

No, of course not. But check out my own investigating, findings and testing on this thread below and my YT channel. It will definitely help you. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/All-Omen-30L-Intel-Based-Owners-Very-Important-If-You-...

HP Recommended

Thanks for pursuing this. I just purchased the 25L with the Ryzen 7 3700X CPU and the RX 5700 GPU and was planning on upgrading memory as well, using either the Fury RGB or non-RGB. Glad I saw your post before proceeding. I assume same problem exists with upgrading the 25L AMD Omen system RAM.

HP Recommended

Correct, its the same issue across the line of 25L and 30L.

HP Recommended

As I do more research before buying extra RAM from a company other than HP, I ran across your recent video of 9/19/2020 titled "Ryzen Master For HP Omen 30L/25L/Pavilion/Envy Gaming Desktops". Unless I misunderstand, this seems to indicate there is a workaround for the problem you raised in your 8/15/2020 video titled "HP Omen 30L - Memory Upgrade - Impossible!". Is that correct? Can I now purchase a RAM upgrade and follow the procedure you outlined in your recent video to change the lowest default speed of the new RAM to a higher speed supported by the RAM, for example 3200 MHz.

In other words, I now have a way to upgrade RAM without having to wait for HP to provide an XMP enable/disable switch in the BiOS and without having to buy RAM from HP. I'm no expert in this area, so I just want to make sure I understand before moving forward.

HP Recommended

Hey, yes there is a work around, not the best and most elegant, but it works. I just really want HP to wake up and give us an XMP option in the Bios, I know that will never happen, but still. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.