Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've just registered for this forum, but I needed every ounce of my technical wits to achieve that...

I was asked for a "Screen Name" so ended up with Apodida (Hi there, other "Swifty" and "Swiftie").

Then I was asked for "*Word verification by reCAPTCHA". 

The problem was, no CAPTCHA image appeared. My browser (Opera) accepts all images, so I presumed a browser issue and tried Firefox... same result. IE9... same again. Chrome v23... same. Safari... same. 

If you think I'm laying it on a bit thick, it's because I seem to be heading for: http://swiftys.org.uk/images/dilbert.gif

The  answer was to disable JavaScript, as the page then works in a purely textual mode. Of couse, no one who needs this information will find their way here...

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Thank you very much Apodida, I probably would have gone mad trying to get past that screen if I hadn't seen your message!

Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer, Apodida.

The problem is even more complicated that can be imagined.

You must have javascript enabled in order to log into the main HP Passport screen. If it is not enabled, the button to login using your username and password will not appear.  If you can't log into HP Passport, you can't participate in any discussions.

However, if you've never participated in the discussion forum and do not have a forum username associated to your HP Passport account, you'll need to register a username and go through the ReCaptcha test to prove that you're a human being. If you have Javascript enabled in your browser, the ReCaptcha image will not appear on the screen.  Therefore, you must disable Javascript in order to register and participate in the forum.

That is just plain dumb.  It's certainly apparent to me that the discussion forum and the HP Passport website are managed by different web devs/admins who aren't talking to each other because their separate browser requirements are at conflict with each other.  The end result - the users suffer, leaving the impression that HP doesn't know how to take care of their business.

HP Recommended

Even now I had to turn Javascript back on in order to edit my prior message as none of the message editing tools were appearing.    What HP needs to do is get the ReCaptcha module to play nice with Javascript.  That's easy enough to do.

HP Recommended

@misterioso wrote:

Even now I had to turn Javascript back on in order to edit my prior message as none of the message editing tools were appearing.    What HP needs to do is get the ReCaptcha module to play nice with Javascript.  That's easy enough to do.

Having worked in IT for well over 40 years, I suspect that HP is innocent in this instance; the CAPTCHA stuff is handled by 3rd party websites (specifically, the non-Javascript path uses Google) and I suspect they are the victims of a change made by the 3rd party. It will still have to be HP who works out a fix, though. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.