Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm not sure where else to post this or send feedback, so in my fairly epic frustration, I'm putting it here.

I bought a laptop about a year ago and within the last month, I've had some problems where the sound was cutting out periodically. When it did, windows explorer would crash. Rebooting the machine would temporarily fix the issue, until the sound crashed again. Also, I'm running out of my warranty, and I'm encouraged to purchase an extended warranty.  Foolishly, I agree because the problem is intermittant enough that I think that it's going to take awhile and may need more work that I can receive over the phone.

After several calls with tech support, where they would make some change (updating drivers, disabling/enabling the playback device) I'm encouraged to wipe my drive and restore the computer.

So, HP sends me a flash drive to wipe my hard drive.

Turns out the problem is still there.... and now I've also lost my Office 2013 install, and need to purchase a new key to use it again. I call tech support again and they do not have my original Office key that I purchased through HP. Also, to try to fix the sound problem, the supervisor tech turns off my start up programs in msConfig. I'm not sure why wiping the computer is higher up on the checklist than turning off programs in msConfig.

So far, my experience with HP tech support has cost me 24 hours of effort, between the calls, backing up my files, restoring the computer, and reinstalling about 20% of the software that was on it.  It has also cost me the extended warranty and now a new Office product key. 

I initially bought this laptop through HP because you are a solid company, but after this experience, I just can't see purchasing anything from you again.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jesethea

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message after the weekend from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details)

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Cheers,

KarolB

I worked for HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.