KarlPf
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Spam phone number for HP support

HP Recommended
HP7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I posted a problem using my HP7740 scanner/printer I received an email repsonse saying this problem could not be easily solved on the forum and I should call HP support at 800-322-2414.  This I did - for a while the help seemed legitimate, but the agent said he needed to check out what I told him and he would call back.  He called back and said my printer problems were really network problems cause by spam and viruses and he needed to install software to remedy the problem.  I did not want his anti-virus/spam stuff, so he said he needed to install a driver update.  I said I had the latest from HP but he said I need a key to activate the latest driver.  At this time bells went off and I terminated contact.  Has this forum been hacked to give automatic responses to new posts leaving bad phone numbers to call?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
132,402 122,579 20,157 30,928
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, scammers are sending private messages in response to posts.

Never respond to an unsolicited private message.

A legitimate person will answer your post in the general forum section.

The company that manages the forum (Lithium), is working on ways to combat this problem.

It's not an easy thing to prevent unfortunately.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation