Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion cc-1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

THE TRACKPAD on this type of laptop is NOT suitable if you are left handed... and HP are absolutely hopeless at responding to inquiries...

I don't use my laptop at a table or desk so I cannot use a mouse instead.

I have had more problems with this trackpad than with one on any other laptop...

And what is worst of all is my emails and questions to HP have been totally ignored!

No repeat pruchase from my group now...

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am curious as to how a trackpad is not suitable for left-handers.

Care to elaborate?

HP Recommended

FIRSTLY because unlike most other keyboards, the control key is on the left only! So if you are using your left hand on the trackpad, you cannot use control shift and drag and other similar combinations without being a contortionist.

Secondly if you want to left click you have to somehow screw your right hand under your left hand...

When trackpads have left and right click buttons it is easier, but this one does not: you have to press the trackpad at the absolute corners.

I did ask HP support if I could reassign keys etc, but the person at HP I spoke to in support told me that he used a mouse! Helpful? Niet...

I posted a question for support a couple of months ago -- but it has been ignored.

HP: Nil point

HP Recommended

Regarding your issue using the left-click: You can go to settings > devices > mouse and change the functions of your left and right click.

I'm not sure what you expect HP support to help you with, they support the computer as it comes.

Do you expect them to take your keyboard and phisically reassign the keys for you?

If you just want to remap keys and buttons, use a third party application that will do it for you. A google search would have saved you several months there.

Bottom line is that if the laptop does not suit your needs, you made an uninformed purchase and there is no point yelling at HP representatives. Buy a laptop with a full keyboard layout next time.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry I elaborated on the problem just to give you the opportunity to be rude!

I could say more but there's no point is there -- but this is NOT what a forum is for!

HP Recommended

I'm sorry if you perceived my words as being "rude" but it's fairly obvious to anyone reading that you're not actually looking for a solution but rather some form of empathy or compensation for being left-handed as if it were a handicap that you were being discriminated against for having.

Either make informed purchases regarding compact keyboard layouts or learn to adapt.

A driver that switches from a car bought in the UK/Australia/India to one bought in Europe will not call the manufacturer of the car to complain that the steering wheel is on the wrong side. Well, you could try but you'd just end up being ignored.

Again, I am sorry for being so rough but someone had to point out how ridiculous your complaint was.

HP Recommended

> the control key is on the left only

It would be nice if the product specs mentioned this in detail about left handed issues.

> Do you expect them to take your keyboard and physically reassign the keys for you?

Perhaps a note mentioning this limitation of single Control key.

HP Recommended

Hi AlexandruN

I would said your second response was quite unfair to TommyZulu, and your third response quite obviously being offensive.

What I understand from the original post is that TommyZulu as a "left hander" is unsatisfied with the product that he bought, as he assume that it would come with a standard keyboard which would not have cause the issue. And when trying to get the issue resolved, the HP support did not give him what he want and when he tried to email HP, he was ignored.

His post was mainly about the support experience he had with HP support, not about the keyboard itself. I am quite sure the keyboard issue is annoying to him, but he is frustrated with HP support, and that is the main issue.

And please look at where the message is posted, it is on 

HP Support Forum Home>Your Voice>Forum Feedback>Re: USELESS FOR LEFT HANDERS!!!!

It is about him giving feed back.

And your car analogy is wrong in this situation, if you need to put this situation into your analogy, it would be:

Most car in the world have steering wheels on both sides of a car

A user get used to drive on the left hand side steering wheel

And now when he brought a car from HP without first going into the dealership to test drive it, and when the car comes it is right hand drive only.

The car is not undrivable, but it is inconvenient for the user.

What is not clear is if it is the user’s fault of not making sure that the Car comes with a steering wheel that suits him, or HP for not specifying that this car is right hand drive only. It depends on the local consumer law. In US, neither HP nor the reseller need to make sure anything other then the normal functions of the product are working. But in Australia, you may be able to argue that the product did not specify that it is right hand only, hence the product is not “fit for purpose” and you can ask the reseller for a refund.

But what is clear is that the user is not satisfy with HP.

Btw,

HP could have suggested swapping the laptop with another model with a suitable keyboard with condition on price difference and restocking fee or something like that. No loss of money for HP and possibly having a happier customer.

HP Recommended

Most retailers offer to refund or replace a product within the first month, no questions asked. Some retailers make exceptions and offer to refund/replace even after 6 months.

This means he had the chance to "test drive" the product and exchange it with another model.

The HP technical department clearly did not ignore him as they offered suggestions and solutions that the customer chose to ignore.

Honestly, don't encourage people to make a big deal out of such things. I'm left-handed as well and this entire thread is just ridiculous.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.