Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I was wondering is it possible to do a search by the machines serial number? Although I can search by model, on some machines, for example, there'd be an ATI and nVidia graphics card, and would appriciate if there was a web-tool available that I could get the machines' specifications, by inputting the machines serial or asset number? An example of when it would be especially handy would be after a system refresh, and one of the drivers was missing.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Jerry,

Thanks for your post. What hp products do you own or are you asking a general question about using such a tool for all hp products? Please clarify.

Thanks

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended
I'd be using it to search for multiple HP laptops and desktop PC's.
HP Recommended
If the customer enters his product number into HP.com he can get the following specs… Im not aware of a tool that will give more detailed information. Hardware
Product Name dv9601TX
Product Number GT949PA
Microprocessor 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7250 featuring Intel Centrino Duo processor technology
Microprocessor Cache 2 MB Level 2 Cache
Memory 2048 MB (2 x 1024 MB)
Memory Max Up to 4 GB DDR2 (Dual Channel Memory Support)
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Video Memory Up to 895 MB (128 MB dedicated)
Hard Drive 280 GB (160 GB + 120 GB) (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±RW with Double Layer Support
Display 17" WXGA+ High Definition BrightView Widescreen (1440 x 900)
Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity 802.11a/b/g WLAN

Bluetooth wireless networking
Sound Altec Lansing speakers

3D Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound 16 bit integrated
Keyboard Notebook keyboard with scroll bar and integrated numeric keypad
Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad, volume control, mute buttons, 2 Quick Launch Buttons
PC Card Slots ·         One ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
External Ports ·         5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards ·         3 USB 2.0 ·         1 VGA port ·         1 HDMI ·         1 RJ-11 modem connector ·         1 RJ-45 ethernet connector ·         Expansion Port 3 ·         S-video TV out ·         2 headphones-out ·         1 mic-in ·         1 IEEE 1394, Consumer IR
Dimensions 28.50 cm (L) x 39.60 cm (W) x 3.16 cm (min H) / 4.18 cm (max H)
Weight 3.55 kg (7.8 lbs)
Security integrated Fingerprint reader
Power ·         90 W AC Power Adapter ·         8-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery
What's In The Box HP Mobile Remote Control 2.1

HP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphones
Software
Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Security and Support:
HP Total Care/Help & Support Center

HP Easy Setup

HP Software Update

SoftThink HDD recovery

Symantec Norton AntiVirus Definition Files Update

User Guide Documentation

Multimedia:
HP Games by Oberon Media (selected countries)

HP Photosmart Premier

HP QuickPlay Windows 3.2

Muvee AutoProducer Basic Edition (with 20 day trial full version)

Roxio Creator Basic

Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft Works 8.5

Microsoft Office 2007 Home/Student (60 day Trial)

Microsoft Office 2007 Pro (60 day Trial)

Internet Solutions:
Adobe Acrobat Reader

Macromedia Flash

Norton Internet Security (60 days live update)

Sun Java VM

Wireless Assistant

Macromedia Flash

MSN Messenger download
Service and Support
Warranty and Support
1 year, parts and labour
I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Boy, that is really unfortunate.  I am frequently managing remote computers and servers and don't know the model number, but can pull the serial number with various tools.

Dell makes this a LOT easier, unfortunately.  (I have no love for Dell's quality, but they do get this part better)

Aaron

HP Recommended

Aaron,

You can use the serial number in 'parts store', but it will give you (IF it returns any information) the same basic info as the model number search given to you in the earlier post... meaning all the possible parts on the box but not necessarily what is actually installed on it.

They used to have a page that would do exactly what you are looking for.  I have spent most of the afternoon trying to find it again (in vain) as I am getting ready to upgrade some remote servers and the "as built" parts breakdown would've been VERY nice to have for this project.

Oh well... we can hope they rethink that and bring it back, but the last time I used it was like 3 years ago.

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi

Can you tell me the exact URL your got that report you posted.  I have been look for something like that for ages.  You mentioned HP.com but I dont know where exactly.   

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.