Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry if this is not the right place to report this but I did not find a topic section for this.
Can I explain the issue here so that someone at HP corrects it or can you suggest the best way to report the issue.

It's about a firmware update for an hard drive which can help others solve issues.

Thanks,

Redleh

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @redleh,

Thanks for asking, really appreciate you looking out for our fellow HP Cusomters.

I can pass the information onto our Web team. Can you provide the link to the HP Support Site with the issue?

thanks

bill

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi Bill,

When looking for a firmware upgrade of an hard drive for the HP EliteBook 8570p Notebook PC I found an error on the links/description/version.

In this case the steps I took were to look for the Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) drivers page for the HP EliteBook 8570p Notebook PC which is:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5212848&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059

I then expanded the firmware section, which contains an entry with the incorrect link in the description column, an incorrect version in the "Current version" column and the download link is pointing to the older firmware version.

If you look at the page there are 2 consecutive "08TH 1 Aug 2013" firmware versions (only the size is different and correct) but the topmost "Micron Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) SSD Firmware Update (International)" version should read "1.5 A 15 Oct 2014" instead of "08TH 1 Aug 2013".

I found this out by looking at the revision history which has the correct link (and I was able to upgrade the drive).

So the correct link for the "Description" column is:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_139121_1

and the Download link should point to sp69130.exe which is the version "1.5 A 15 Oct 2014" (instead of sp62924.exe which is the previous 08TH version).

Therefore, it is necessary to:

1. Update the link in the Description column to:
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_139121_1
2. Correct the "Current version" column to 1.5 A 15 Oct 2014
3.Update the download link so that it downloads sp69130.exe

Although I looked into the Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) drivers, I checked and the same issue is present in the other download sections for:
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

So unless you use a template that corrects all at once, you need to update those as well.
I also wouldn't be surprised the same issue is present in other hardware models that use the same firmware so keep an eye on it.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

HP Recommended

@redleh

Thanks for the details, I'll pass this on. And once again thanks for helping out!

Bill

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

hey @redleh

Quick update.

HP continues to provide updated firmware whenever possible, but in some cases that firmware is designed for specific systems that we have tested it with.

Your PC contains an SSD that supports the firmware, but the system it is installed in was not tested or approved to run that version of the firmware. So we don’t provide it on that support webpage. 

We are glad that it worked on your system!

Also the two versions you pointed out that are just different sizes, one is an ISO image, the other is the Softpaq. Thank you very much for the research and help here.

bill

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi Bill,

Thanks for looking into this.

You are (partially) right 🙂 one is a link for what it seems to be a linux based bootable iso file, I suppose so that you can boot from a CD and upgrade the firmware.

But regarding the part about it is not there because it hasn't been tested, I have to disagree (just a personal opinion) because the firmware fixes an hard drive issue (regardless of the OS) and if you look at the revision history it does not have any mention of a particular Operating System or HP model.

I believe that adding a line to that page (or other pages that use the same hard drive) with the updated firmware version it can help other people, instead of having to return what seemed a faulty drive.

But I leave that to the HP testers.

Thanks,

redleh

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.