Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dr-Soong0101
Level 3
49 36 2 13
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Worst Customer Service Experience I've EVER had!

HP Recommended
OMEN-17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm based in the UK and it all started when I had a warning on HP Support Assistant telling me to recalibrate my battery. I had an OMEN-17 laptop and only had it for three months before getting the notification. After recalibrating a number of times, it still said the battery wasn't repaired and to contact HP Support immediately. And that's when the fun and games began...

I opened a ticket on the 16th August. A courier was due to pick my machine up two days later but never arrived despite me waiting in all day. I called up to find it had in fact been rescheduled for another two days time without even notifying me!

The repair was to take 7-10 days in all. When it got to day 5 I called up to find out what was going on. I got told that they didn't have the part needed to do the repair but it had been dispatched and would arrive with the engineers tomorrow. The machine would then be returned to me two days later. I waited and no sign of my computer so I called up and they said "It is being dispatched today, you will receive it tomorrow." Again I waited and again, no sign. By this point we were on day 10. So I called up again only to get told, they haven't got the part needed and the machine won't be fixed for another 5 weeks! I pointed out how that contradicted what I'd been told on previous days about the part being delivered and the machine having been dispatched back to me. I never did get an explanation for being lied to on more than one occasion.

So I escalated the case and two days later Customer Relations finally got back to me.  I explained that I have no computer so I am also losing work. The representative offered me a brand new slightly upgraded replacement but I'd have to wait 4 weeks for it as they don't have access to the HP Store stock and it would have to be ordered and built from scratch at their factory in... 'Wuhan'. Great. Well I was naively impressed with the gesture and agreed to wait. But surprise, surprise it got to 4 weeks and I hadn't heard anything so I chased it up. The date had now been pushed back to December 28th. I was then given the choice of waiting 4 and a half months for a slightly upgraded laptop or have my money back. For some reason, that also apparently takes 2 weeks to process. I'm still waiting on the refund but got a £50 voucher for the 2 months of stress and no computer thus far. How lovely.

In all my years, I've never had a negative  customer service experience anything on this level. Not even Virgin Media have treated me quite this bad and they're consistently ranked the worst or amongst the worst in the UK every year.

COVID can only be used as an excuse so much. A couple of searches online and you can see for yourself HP's Trustpilot rating which is jaw-dropping, their own forums and an article by latopmag.com about HP's support. And most of the negative reviews were made long before the pandemic. All these things I should have researched BEFORE buying the laptop but hey ho, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It also seems that the company is basically 300+ smaller companies which made sense when I read it. The staff at the Customer Support department all appear to be based in Romania and weren't very knowledgeable when it came to the technical side of things. They also displayed poor communication skills not only towards me but to each other and other departments. More training was obviously needed. Customer Relations also appeared to be in yet a different European country and then the people handling my refund are a company called TechProtect and they're based in Germany with no means of direct contact either.

This multinational web of bureaucracy makes it mentally exhausting for customers to chase up repairs or refunds. And I think it's probably deliberate. That and also probably tax reasons. After all, after sales departments 'spend out' HP's money on repairs and refunds rather than bring money in. Hence why the sales teams HQ's are always based in the country where the customers are based right?

So I'm supposed to have my refund back by the middle of next week at the latest. But after everything that's gone on, I obviously don't trust them. If I don't receive it, I have absolutely no idea of what to do next or who to turn to. Something is obviously very rotten at HP and I urge any new customers to seriously consider doing a bit of research before splashing out £2000 on a laptop and going through an experience like mine.

Are Dell and Alienware's support any better/worse anyone know?

<span;>Thanks

1 REPLY 1
praveen196
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,488 10,490 476 754
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dr-Soong0101 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information.

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation