Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought an HP Spectre in April, Ordered it from HP on-line, 10 days delivery it said, then I discovered that it was going to take 2 months. I tried to cancel, Sales said I couldn't cancel because it was being custom built. Custom? I ordered a bigger SSD. When it finally was delivered  it was the worst machine I ever owned, and that's going back to the days of DOS 3.0.

I have been trying to get hold of someone, anyone, on phone, on Chat, via e-mail for a week, and this thing is still under warranty. I would suggest cutting your losses, buy another machine, and make sure it's not HP.

David

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@David12228, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Apologies for the inconvenience. To assist you better, kindly let us know what the issue is with the product.

Keep us posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been trying to find out how to create a short cut for programs I use on the Desktop. How difficult can that be?

Right clicking on the exe file in the start menu brings up options, one of which is "Send to... Desktop create a short cut." It does not noting, so why is that an option?

I went on-line, found clear instructions on YouTube. "Left click on the app or document, and while still hold the left button drag the file on to the Desktop." So simple, doesn't work. I found another YouTube video, with the same instructions; didn't work either. I can drag the .exe file to the edge of the Start Menu, then it disappears to be replaced with a stop sign and disappears.

Please explain how to do this.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@David12228

I believe you are using Win 10 PC

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending windows update. Reboot the computer. 

1. Click the Windows key, and then browse to the Office program for which you want to create a desktop shortcut.

2. Left-click the name of the program, and drag it onto your desktop.

A shortcut for the program appears on your desktop.

You can also create desktop shortcuts for specific Office files or documents.

1. In Windows Explorer, browse to the document or file for which you want to create a desktop shortcut.

2. Right-click the name of the document, and then click Create shortcut. In Windows 8 you would click Send To > Desktop (Create shortcut).

A shortcut for that document or file appears on your desktop.

If the issue persists, create a new local user account on the PC and then try to create shortcuts.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am sorry for not responding sooner. Things have been cray around here and I have not had a chance to even boot up the Spectre. I will try out your suggestion over the weekend and get back to you.

David

HP Recommended

@David12228

Sure, keep us posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.