Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I posted a question to the Windows 10 Expert Day forum. 

I didn't get my problem resolved, but I did get a nice email from hp.support.forum@hp.com, telling me that if I didn't get the problem resolved, I could contact HP customer care at [phone number].  The forum won't let me post the phone number.

After talking with HP customer care for a while, without making any progress, and with the technician remoted into my computer, he asked me to pay for some services, and I finally realized that it probably was not really customer care, and I was probably being scammed, so I hung up.  I didn't buy anything, though I'm now worried what malware may be on my computer and what information may be copied off of it.  The email looked legimimate, and all the links were to HP sites.  Presumably the return address was spoofed?  I can post the letter if anybody cares, though evidently I won't be allowed to include the phone number.

I don't know how, but it would be good to warn people that HP doesn't provide a support phone number (at least I can't get to one from the regular customer care number), so if you receive one in response to your forum post, it probably is a scam.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Further information: I also got an in-forum email from customer_care, who has an account on the forum, with the same message and phone number.  I know not to respond to that, as it comes from a forum user with no posts.  I just needed the warning that email from an HP address isn't really from HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.