Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Registering Your Product

In case you haven’t caught on, we’ve been doing a series of posts about things consumers should keep in mind as they give (and receive) new gadgets this holiday season—everything to consider from purchasing in the store to unwrapping on the living room floor.

We’ve all seen (and many ignored) the forms or pop-ups that come along with new products—registration. “They’re so annoying.” “They’re just a waste of time.” “I don’t want to give anyone my personal information!”  We’ve heard it all. But there are actually many advantages to registering your products—including some you might never have even considered.

First of all, registering your product will actually help HP provide you with quicker and more efficient service and support. When you call in for tech support, we’ll know immediately what your serial number is, warranty information and other sometimes hard-to-find information. Cutting down on the time spent pinpointing your exact product gives us more time to pinpoint, and do our best to resolve, your exact problem.

Not only that, registering your product can help assure you get the most out of your warranty, especially if your new machine was a gift and you don’t have a proof of purchase date. Registering your product will solidify the start date on your warranty period and cut down on confusion and frustration should you ever have to take advantage of any warranty services.

The other big plus to registering your product is that you’ll receive product support alerts. I know by default many of us are scared off at the idea of allowing a company to flood our inboxes with ads and junk mail, but support alerts are very helpful. For instance, in the unfortunate case that HP has to issue a recall on a certain product, registered consumers have the best chance of learning of the issue quickly and having more time to take advantage of HP’s offered resolution. Although HP will always try to get the news out to all consumers regarding recalls and certain issues, we’re much more likely to reach you if we know that you own one of our products, and more specifically, that it’s the product we’re addressing.  Alerts can come for good news, too, like coupons and special offers.

Those are just some of the reasons why registering your HP machine is a good call. We hope you’ll remember this post before you toss that registration card in the trash or close out the pop up forever.  Just think about it—the more we know about your product, the better we can service and surprise you with it.

I worked for HP.
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

My Pavilion DV7 was just stolen from my home along with another HP Laptop. Both computers were registered immediately after purchase. Can registration help with that.? For example, if someone attempts to register it again on the HP Website, will the duplicate serial number be detected, and if so, will I be notified? How do I check on this? Is there a way to recover the serial number of my registered computers from HP?

HP Recommended

check your warranty, if you have lojack included, then call hp. lojack is a security feature that can track the whereabouts of your notebook.

HP Recommended

were to register

Register your product

Registration Frequently Asked Questions

While I work on behalf of HP I'm not speaking for HP but trying to provide best effort support.
HP Recommended

Garen -

Thanks for your post, I've been concerned about getting a stream of constant e-mail as a result of registering.  Is there a way to limit or avoid this?

Also, I am annoyed about my warranty running while I waited for my item to be pulled in the warehouse and shipped and also while it was on the truck in transit.  I don't believe I should loose warranty days before I ever even receive the item.  Is there a way in the registration process to specify the date of receipt as the commencement of the warranty?  The shipping information (with tracking number) readily pinpoints when I actually did get the item, so its not like I'm trying to pull as fast one.

Thanks for your time and attention to this forum! - Randy

HP Recommended

Garen -

I've found the answer to my first question so will post it here for the benefit of others.

When you register for this Forum, or register a product, or register for the Store, etc. you create what HP calls an on-line registration.  This not only includes what personal information you supply (e-mail, phone, address, etc.) but also sets your preferences for receiving material from HP (Yes or No) for 4 categories.  Any of these settings may be changed at any time by editing your profile.

You can use this link:  https://register.hp.com/americas/flowPage/login/index.do?execution=e1s1&cc=US&lang=en  to log into your HP on-line account.  Your User ID is normally an e-mail, and your password should be the same one you use for logging into the Forum.

Once you log in you get the My Account screen.  At the bottom of the About You box are 4 categories of Contact Consent, with the Yes or No settings currently in effect.  (Categories are Email, Phone, Postal Mail, Mobile Voice and Messaging.)  Any or all of these can be changed by clicking the Update My Profile button at the lower right.  (Of course you can also edit/change any of your personal and/or contact information, too.

User ID and Password changes are made in a different area, see the links in the left margin box to change either of those.

Good luck! - Randy

HP Recommended

Great! I think I have to register my notebook.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I didn't register my DV4500 big mistake. I ended up having to get the direct service from Office Depot and let's just say it's not up to HP's high standards. Don't mess around next time. Go for the professionals. Register and you'll be thankful.

HP Recommended

Yeah! I think registering is very important... but i don't like newsletter....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.