cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
Chris_O
Level 2
17 10 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

1055CM Check printhead path (1) errors when right cover is installed.

HP Recommended
HP DesignJet 1055CM(C6075A)

This is one of the stranger problems I've seen after many years of working on DJ105x plotters.  After replacing the belt and ink tube system, the plotter gets a "Check prinhead patch (1)" error during the initialization only of the right cover is on.  It goes through the beginning of the initialization and checks the service station during which the carriage traverses the width of the plotter.  Towards the end, it moves all the way to the left.  Just before it shuffles back and forth, there is a loud grinding sound and the error appears.  It looks like it is trying to drive the carriage further to the left but it is at the end of its travel so the belt slips.  With the cover off and the front panel connected, it completes the initialization every time.  Nothing is binding the carriage.  The rails have been cleaned and lubed.  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

6 REPLIES 6
Irishpig
Level 1
8 7 0 1
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The only thing I can think of is maybe the trailing cable is catching when you put on the cover? 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Irishpig
Level 1
8 7 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also did you clean the inside of the rails that the ink tube slides trough? I have had the ink tubes bind there quite a bit

Chris_O
Author
Level 2
17 10 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies.  The trailing cable and tube system are free and show no signs of binding.  The carriage is at the left end when it fails.  I use alcohol wipes to clean the rails pretty thouroughly around the whole outside diameter except the bottom where they are mounted.  I don't stop until a clean wipe stays clean after wiping them down.  The carriage bushings are also cleaned.  The last step is to lube the rails with the special oil.

Irishpig
Level 1
8 7 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

check to see when you replaced the belt if you marked the old belt and put the new one on in the same spot? what I mean is the belt has grooves ( for the pulley ) and teeth ( for the drive gear ) if too far out of spec. maybe slipping there? also check the Encoder strip at that spot to see if worn or over cleaned? ( which I have done ) 

davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think what we are missing here is the plotter works fine with the right cover off. If any of the items mentioned above were not installed correctly or have issues then the plotter would still not work with the cover off. The only thing I can think of is something inside the cover is effecting the movement of the carriage. I would recheck the tube assembly when the cover is installed using a flashlight to make sure no part of the tubes is touching the cover. I do not see  how since it follows the rail for the tubes on that side but who knows. With the cover and the power off I would also move the carriage by hand using the belt from side to side to see if I can feel any hangup. Also another thing which should not be a factor but did you use the carriage height tool after installing the new belt? That adjustment needs to be made to prevent the printheads coming in contact with the platnum.

Chris_O
Author
Level 2
17 10 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just noticed I never posted what the solution was.  The rebuilt tube system was the cause.  When I contacted the vendor, they knew right away what the problem was.  They add a mesh sleeve over the tubes as part of their rebuid process.  It is secure with heatshrink on either end.  The sleeving on a few of them was too short which causes enough resistance to kick out a printhead path error.  I had one genuine HP tube system left.  The plotter worked fine when the 3rd party tube system was replaced with it.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation