cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
freeform
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

5500 uv firmware wont update

HP Recommended
designjet 5500uv 60"
Microsoft Windows XP

what is the propper firmware to put on the hard drive. I installed a ned drive as the old one failed, can get to the maintenence screen and to the install firmware section. connected to an old xp computer with the lpt1 cable. downloaded firmware from hp in a zip. extracted the files and went through the HP recomended add new printer routine and all it did was put the driver files on computer not copy to drive.  the printer times out waiting for firmware to be sent.

I get a .cab and an inf file from the firmware download but looking at a few other firmware forums they show a file with .upg to send to printer.

So is the .upg the file I need and if so where do i get it ?

6 REPLIES 6
D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds like you're just loading the driver, not the firmware.  They're two different things.  The driver is still available on the HP website, but not the firmware.  Yes, you need the .upg file.   HP5500PostS_S_56_07.upg

The driver file is hpdj5x00wx64glen for the 64 bit driver.

Googling the firmware file name brought this:  https://www.driversforhp.com/download-hp/HP5500PostS_S_56_07.upg-download-driver-files-free/

You might want to check for more download sites.  I've never used this download so can't vouch for it.

Can you post up some screen shots of the maintenence screen you spoke of?  This screen is on the computer, not the printer, correct?

Can you tell us a little more about the hard drive you're installing?  Is it off the shelf?

You might want to consider going on ebay and buying a hard drive that already has the firmware installed.  I've purchased a couple for 5500 hard drives there and never had any problems.  Just be sure you get the one for your exact model.  The UV won't make a difference but the PS vs non-PS will.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
freeform
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

found the upg file at same place.  only one out there it seems. will attempt the install in a few.

the screen in on the printer. during boot up press and hold the up (top) button and it will go into the mainenance mode where you can update firmware, format hard drive and several other things.

D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Were you able to format the hard drive using the front panel?

freeform
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes the format seems to have worked fine,  just can't seem to get the computer to send the upg file to it. 

NCSibrother
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 

I do not lose time 

Just replace the hdd 

and all good 

Like this one 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282752045687

D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What process are you using to send the firmware?  The only way I've had success updating is through the EWS using the network cross over cable connection.  But that probably speaks more to my ingonorance than anything else.  Do you have a port for a network cable on the back of the printer?

If you haven't already, you might want to do a search on this forum for updating firmware.  Lots of good info there that might help you along.

Or, like the poster above suggests, you could just buy a new hard drive with the firmware already installed. ( But where's the fun in that?!)  Just know there's less expensive sellers out there that are stateside and offer warranty.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation