Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got an HP DesignJet 500PS 24" Rolls from work. Can't find anything on HP website on how to hook it up. It only tells you to plug it in to the power. I'm wondering what type of cable you need to hook up to it & the internet. Is this a special cable or just a regular cable you use for your TV & internet?  Or is this a wireless plotter?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Your message is a bit confusing.  You're asking about a DJ 500 but your tags are for an Envy 4520.

If you're trying to connect an older Designjet 500PS you'll need a USB cable for sure.  Depending on the printer, it may have an option for a network cable but you'll need to check the back of the printer to see.   Not wireless options for these older printers.

Here's a picture of the cable you'll need from an Ebay advertisement:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/353393056961?hash=item5247de1cc1:g:WKAAAOSwrDxfnA1f&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwF...

As you can see, one end is flat like a regular USB cable and the other end is square.  They're very common for most printers.

Connect the printer to your computer with the USB cable and with Windows 10 it will probably load a generic driver for it.  Let us know what happens.

Not sure about connecting an Envy 4520 AIO.  Never used one.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

On the 500 series, if you are standing behind the printer, there is a door on right side that can be removed. Look for a hole about the diameter of a network cable and that is the panel. If the printer has network capability there will be a JetDirect card installed behind that panel. If there is not one you could always buy a JetDirect T620N on Ebay and install it. Most 500 series products will also have a parallel port but most new computers do not have serial ports.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.