Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Pagewide XL4000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After some computers updated to the latest 1709 build of Windows 10, they are unable to print to an install printer that they were able to print from before.  Basically these printers are installed from the server by double-clicking from the server and it is suppose to pull the drivers from the server.  For some reason it does not look like it is pulling from the server and it is pulling from the Windows update.  This only started happening after the 1709 update.  It was printing properly before.  The only way I have been able to resolve this is by installing a local printer and pointing to the IP address and downloading the drivers locally, but I have never needed to do that before.  Typically all the drivers from my other devices throuoghut the office are installed via the server.  This makes it difficult to set up standards throuoghout the office if I have to install locally.  Again, this only occurred after the 1709 update.

The curious thing is that it does not let me print to the plotter and the sheet size is stuck on 8 1/2 x 11 even if I change it within the properties of the printer.  Again, the only solution so far is installing it locally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  The server is running Server 2012 r2.  If someone can help me set it so that it will only install the drivers from the server and not from Windows update, I would be very appreciative.  I have already gone into the GPEDIT and edited the Administrative Templates>System>Internet Communication Management>Internet Communication Settings> and enabled the "Turn off Windows update device driver search".  This didn't help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I just got off the phone with Pagewide Support and found some useful information as well as a workaround.  Here is what I was told:

• The issue is a Windows issue, not an HP issue and Microsoft is working on a permanent fix.
  • I was given KB4048955 to reference which mentions something about another print issue with Epson printers, this didn't seem to apply but the article mentions that the Epson printer issue was solved with KB4051963.
  • I don't have either of the above KB's installed, but they may have been part of the cumulative update KB4054517, however, it did not resolve the issue.

While we're waiting for the permanent fix from Microsoft, here is the workaround:

1. Go into settings/Printers & Scanners
  2. Select Printer and choose Manage
  3. Open Printing Preferences and Press OK.   (Seriously, just OK, don't need to even change a setting).

Once this is done, the printer will work again, and the 'workaround' survives a restart so I've only had to do this once and I can resume printing to the Pagewide.  I've also tried this from Control Panel/Devices and Printers and it works there as well.  I haven't tried going into the printing preferences directly from an application and pressing OK, maybe someone else can try that and post back.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Experiencing the same issue here ,after the 1079 update ,the Postcript driver works fine on some workstations but not all .Deleting printer and all the HP driver packages on both server and workstations ,then reinstalling doesn't solve the problem. Installing the printer locally on the workstation allows the user to print ,but definetely we can't be doing this on each computer.Besides our company has  5 more HP Pagewides  on different client offices ,models 4000 ,5000 and our main shop we have an 8000 XL printing thru Win 7 that hasn't been affected ,we are expecting to be caos if they update their restart their Win 10 workstations after the update. Need a new driver ASAP.

HP Recommended

And now the voltures come out.  For some reason I recieved a private message after I posted this question.  This is what it said:

Dear Customer,

We really appreciate for your concern regarding your HP Product. But its hard to provide you the appropriate solution for this issue in community. In order to get easy and hassle free HP Technical support for you peripherals. Kindly call +1-888-242-9613 (US/Canada) & +44-020 3289 7008 (UK)for assistance.

Thanks & Regards
HP Helpdesk

I found it to be odd so I called just to confirm.  Sure enough the person who answered the phone just said "Technical Support may I help you".  They didn't even say "HP" or for that matter, I didn't get an answering machine.  Basically this guy was probably looking for me to give him access to my computer.  I thought of playing around with him for a while, but I was too busy so I told him that he should be ashamed of himself, preying on people that need help.

Anyway, I am glad that this is not an isolated incident.  Glad for me, not for you.  Hopefully something will fix this.  If I find anything I will post.

HP Recommended

Product Name:  HP Pagewide XL 5000PS MFP

Operating System:  Windows 10 Version 1709 (Build 16299.125)

Driver Version:  61.174.11308.100 (2107-08-03)

I have the same issue after applying the update to 1709 when plotting to Pagewide 5000 XL MFP connected to a 2012r2 Print Server.  Installing the printer as a local printer is the only solution that I have as well, and works ok for a few users, but I need a solution for this ASAP as well.   Windows 7 clients continue to print to the shared printer without issue.

HP Recommended

I noticed there is another windows cumulative update (KB4054517) just posted by microsoft last night 12/12,but doesn't makes any reference to print issues. I installed the patchthis morning but will not be able to try since I'm out of the office,maybe someone out there can apply and give feed back. Also this is kind of weird that none of my other printer drivers Xerox,Ricoh or even an HPz6200 we have has been affected by the 1079 update ,is only the HP Pagewide 4000 XL. If it was a microsoft issue ,all printer ports/drivers would have been blocked or affected. The bi -directional communication between the Win 2012 R2 server and Win 10 clients is getting affected .

HP Recommended

I have applied the cumulative update KB4054517 but it did not resolve the issue.   I beleive this issue is mostly windows, but must also be something specific to the pagewide drivers.   I have had no issues printing to Sharp, Lexmark, or Xerox printers and can even print to an older HP T1100 DesignJet with no problems.

I have also tried to disable/enable bi-directional printing with no success, and have tried printing while disconnected from the network and the error occurs even before windows the printer is not available.

HP Recommended

I just got off the phone with Pagewide Support and found some useful information as well as a workaround.  Here is what I was told:

• The issue is a Windows issue, not an HP issue and Microsoft is working on a permanent fix.
  • I was given KB4048955 to reference which mentions something about another print issue with Epson printers, this didn't seem to apply but the article mentions that the Epson printer issue was solved with KB4051963.
  • I don't have either of the above KB's installed, but they may have been part of the cumulative update KB4054517, however, it did not resolve the issue.

While we're waiting for the permanent fix from Microsoft, here is the workaround:

1. Go into settings/Printers & Scanners
  2. Select Printer and choose Manage
  3. Open Printing Preferences and Press OK.   (Seriously, just OK, don't need to even change a setting).

Once this is done, the printer will work again, and the 'workaround' survives a restart so I've only had to do this once and I can resume printing to the Pagewide.  I've also tried this from Control Panel/Devices and Printers and it works there as well.  I haven't tried going into the printing preferences directly from an application and pressing OK, maybe someone else can try that and post back.

HP Recommended

This is unbeleiveable.  Thank you so much.  I just tested it and that "printing preference" "OK" trick worked.  I haven't rebooted, but I am sure it will work after a reboot.  I just can't understand why.  

Again, Thanks!.

HP Recommended

I'll give it a try ,we also have 2 fellow techs taking  a training fo the pagewide,will request they ask about this issue and will also follow up on this and provide feedback after testing on my end . Regards to All.

HP Recommended

Going into the application and trying to apply this fix thru the preferences> then OK , within the app will not work, best way is to enable this workaround from devices and printers > properties> preferences and that worked ....Thing of the devil !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.