cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HuntLaudi
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Can't replace Magenta Printhead

HP Recommended
DesignJet 800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a typical diagnostic print showed the magenta blocks completely blank, and three attempts to clean the magenta printhead, the final diagnosis was to replace the magenta printhead. This I have done multiple times in the past with other printheads without a problem.

This time however, on receiving the new magenta printhead and installing it per instructions, the screen instructions just circle back to instructions to replace the printhead. I've tried re-booting the printer, repeating the process, but to no avail. The printer does not accept or register the new printhead.

Stumped. 

8 REPLIES 8
D Hook
Level 7
874 821 36 101
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried reinstalling the old one to see if it will accept that one?  Might narrow it down to a faulty new printhead.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
HuntLaudi
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sure did. Put the old one back... same message. Re-booted... same mesage. New one in again... same message. Can't get out of the loop.

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

get an injector.. use replace printhead option & move carriage to the left..... turn off power..... open

printhead cover ... remove magenta printhead.... insert injector & draw out ink bubbles till solid ... put printhead back..

I seen this countless time & fixed it same way.

start printer & do printhead alignment....

HuntLaudi
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, sounds like a way forward. But what's an "injector"? Can you send the full technical name and model number, or just a website where I can order an "injector" for the purposes you describe.

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

syringe

HuntLaudi
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Got it. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

HuntLaudi
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did as instructed. Took a syringe and withdrew ink from the printhead carraige. Same result. The system does not recognize the new printhead. Just a blinking X. Tried cleaning the contacts. Swaped in the old printhead, this time a blinking black, so the system recognizes a difference.

Still stumped.

Kae_Lus
Level 1
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HuntLaudi,

HP is developing new firmware that prevents the error. Bookmark this page and check back often for more information. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06098737. When the firmware is published, the document will be updated.

Hope this helps you.

I am an HP Employee
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation