Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm trying to update the firmware on an HP DesignJet 800 but the firmware .exe when run keeps saying the printer can't be found.  At first it kept saying the USB port was overloaded and to disconnect the offending device... so I went and got a USB powered hub thinking that was the problem.  These are the other things I've tried....

- three different usb - b cables

- a macbook pro with win 10 on parallels

- two different Dell laptops running win 10  (edit: one win 7 and win 10)

- all above computers with and without using the powered usb hub (without hub causes the USB port overload issue, with doesn't so i assume it's doing it's thing properly)

- all windows updates installed on the OS's

In all cases the result is the same when running the lastest firware exe >  the printer cannot be found. please connect computer to the printer via usb cable.  It is!!!!!! Gah!!!!

Basically we have had little to no luck getting this plotter to work with the drivers offered for windows 10 so i'm guessing the firmware needs to be updated... so really two problems, can't get firmware updated, and can't get win 10 to easily recognize the plotter with the offered drivers here on hp.com for the designjet 800.   

I don't want this thing to go in the garbage but our team needs to print badly!! any help/advice is appreciated. 

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Can you get a computer with WIN 7 for a firmware update?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

My mistake in the original post... One of the Dells I tried is Windows 7 and the other is Windows 10.  If there is any thing else I can try to solve this please let me know!!!

HP Recommended

Connect via Network instead of USB. USB port on printer could be bad and hence causing the power issue.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hmm ok, I thought USB was the only way as per the instructions.  To clarify, you're saying the firmware update can be done 'over the network'... or does the plotter have to be physically connected via ethernet cable directly to the laptop (ie. as opposed to the usb cable)?   Cheers man

ps. i too suspected a possible bad usb port on the plotter... the usb cable does move the port around in it's housing in the plotter more than usual

HP Recommended

ok, i performed the following steps....

1. connected the win 7 laptop to the designjet 800  (via a usb-c port on the laptop using a usb-c to usb-a adapter, which is plugged into a usb-a to ethernet adapter then cabled into the plotter) 
  2. I think I need to add new printer on local tcp/ip port due to direct connection sooooo.....
  3. Add new printer
  4. Add a local printer
  5. Create a new port
  6. Select 'Standard TCP/IP' port from 'Type of port' dropdown
  7. Enter current static IP of plotter 192.168.2.24
  8. Check 'Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use', click Next
  9. Wait for 'Detecting TCP/IP port....' 
  10. Result = "Device is not found on the network".  Leave 'Device Type: Standard (Generic Network Card) selected, hit Next button
  11. "Windows is communicating with the printer and will automatically detect the printer driver to use" Result = Install the printer driver dialog.
  12. Click 'Have disk' and choose latest driver 'dsgj510' just downloaded from HP.com for the designjet 800
  13. Then select "HP Designjet 800 42 by HP" from the 10 or so options 
  14. Type a printer name
  15. You've successfully added this printer.
  16. I then run the firmware exe and it fails to find the print, as before.

Is this because this laptop only has a wireless card perhaps?.... no ethernet card?   Appreciate the help so far. 

ps. i should note my win 7 machine can print over the network to the plotter no problem...its just this firmware update giving me trouble.  

HP Recommended

Well you are correct, with this version of the firmware you are restricted to USB update only. That is without a doubt a very restrictive situation for you as it sounds like your USB port may be non-functional. Sorry to mislead you, the last updates that I performed were with one generation older and they still supported network updates.Perhaps you can solder the usb connector back on the board if it is just a connector that is broken.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hmm, well that is unfortunate.  Thanks for the help.  

Next question, is there anything significant in the latest firmware update that would necessitate its installation?  I only took on this project in hopes of getting our Windows 10 machines to be able to print without issue. The last I heard (and experienced) was that the existing dj800 drivers don't work out of the box and required a bit of hoop jumping with a different driver (510 if i remember).    Maybe I'll completely remove all traces of any installed drivers somehow and reinstall what's listed on the HP website.... even though they seem to be several years old (meaning I think those have already been tried and what led us to the 510 driver workaround).    

Cheers!!! 

HP Recommended

The latest firmware is very significant if you install new printheads and the printer gives you a printhead error.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06098737

Firmware fixes that.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Ah ok, thanks for the info.  Will keep an eye on that.  

Frustratingly, my test machine with windows 7 installed designjet 800 drivers and works no problem... on the primary users workstation with windows 10 there does not seem to be any drivers for this plotter.  Gah!  What are people doing with win10 and designjet 800's to install the printer/drivers?  Just use the 510 drivers and hope for the best?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.