cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
trytofinderror
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Cannot find hp dj 500 firmware.

HP Recommended
HP DesignJet 500 Printer series
Other

Hi!

Help me please, i can't find firmware for my HP DesignJet 500 (C7770B).

there is no firmwares on software and drivers page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-500-printer-series/25301/model/1834668

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you know which firmware you're using right now?  Is it A.04.02?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
trytofinderror
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for reply!

No, it's A.03.07

D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Doing a google search for "Designjet 500 firmware" brought up some options, one of them:  https://www.myolddesignjet.com/the-plotter-princess-blog/firmware-upgrade-for-designjet-500-and-800

Also, there are some posts here on the HP board about being sure to remove the HPGL card if you have one before updating the firmware.  If not, it will ruin the card.  You might want to do some searching about that before updating the firmware.

You might also want to post a new thread asking someone to check their 500 to see what the firmware version is, if they did the upgrade to newer firmware already.  When you read the posts, you might find the firmware for both the 500 and 800 is the same but I have nothing to verify that.

Kreator
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry for necroposting. Just to renew this topic. Hope your message will help other users, that want to update the firmware on HP DJ 500 plus. In addition:

1. You have to be sure, that exsisting firmware is 02.06 or newer, as the utility says.

2. You have to connect the plotter to your PC by USB, install the driver. It must be ready to print.

3. You MUST remove the HP/GL2 card from the plotter before the procedure. Turn off the plotter, remove the card and turn it on. If you don't remove it, updating FW will kill it. There's no such warning on the official download page or anywhere else.

4. I failed to update the firmware correctly, because I haven't removed HP/GL2 card. So the card is now dead.

5. Use the administrator account if possible, I failed to use my simple one.

6. When you send the FW to the plotter, 3 print jobs should appear in the queue, the process should be fast. Then you'll see an image on the plotter LCD display. Wait until you see the image, that asks you to turn off the plotter.

7. If you kill the HP/GL2 card, you still can use the plotter without it. You need to set "Send as bitmap" check in the Troubleshooting tab in the print settings of HP DJ 500. This way the drawing is prepared on your PC and is sent to the print queue as a big bitmap. But works fine.

Regards, Alex.

P.S. In addition, people say, that you have to share the printer before updating if the update utility doesn't see connected plotter.

skuks
Level 5
249 247 13 34
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

to the question to download newer firmware - go to the link you posted and in the drop-down menu -

Selected operating system: Operating system / Version hit Change and if selected Windows new firmware appears (A.05.01). For Mac OS there is no option and for Unix - firmware version is A.03.07...

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation