Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
hp designjet 1050C

Customer says cutter on 1050C is continually actuated or engaged. I THINK (not sure) he said it ultimately results in "system error" with, I do not think, no system error code. I have not gone to customer's site yet.

Has anyone experienced this?  And what was the cause?  I've heard of a bad main pca causing one to NOT engage or be actuated. Perhaps it could work the other way as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I reset the EEROM and that took care of it. I had recalled that Ralph McGranahan had suggested that once when things get out of wack.

As an extra measure I also recalibrated everything I could.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The cutter on 1050C is mechanical, you might have some dust or dirt that is causing the cutter to be engaged all the time.

Bring some compressed air, and lubricant in spay ( WD40) or similar.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response; I will be checking it out tomorrow or so and will try to post back.

....but it is told what to do via electronics, so I'm still open to this possibly being firmware or main pca as again there is one archived post of the main pca causing it to NOT be actuated to cut.

HP Recommended

IIRC, the cutter is engaged when the carriage moves just  few mm further than print travel, picks up a tab on the cutter and drags it back out.  So yes, in some ways, the cutter is triggered electronically because something has to tell the carriage to move that extra amount to engage the cutter and release it.  It's all mechanical but relies on the electronics and encoder strip to move the carriage to the correct position.

I would check the encoder strip visually, then check to tabs that engage the cutter.  Could be one is slightly deformed and not releasing.  Had that happen on a 5000 once.  Just needed a little attitude adjustment.  Maybe also check the rubber wheel on the cutter so see it's intact.  If not, replace with an O-ring from hardware store.

Good luck.  Let us know what happens.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

I reset the EEROM and that took care of it. I had recalled that Ralph McGranahan had suggested that once when things get out of wack.

As an extra measure I also recalibrated everything I could.

HP Recommended

Neat trick Paul.  Have to remember that.  Thanks for posting the solution.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Once again guys, I spoke too soon.  The EEROM clearing did appear to work at first, but it started doing it again later.

So both you guys were right.  The spring loaded cutter actuator lever was a bit grimy where it pivots and not as responsive as it should have been. I replaced it with another and it seems to be fine now.

I hope it doesn't happen again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.