Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 1120PS

Our 1120PS plotter recently started throwing up the 86.01 "Possible Paper Jam" error code. We discovered that the belt tensioner had snapped and the belt streached out, so we replaced the belt and tensioner. however, the printer still isn't working.

When initializing the printer, it still throws the same 86.01 "Possible Paper Jam" error code.

When running the Scan-Axis test from the diagnostic menu, i can get different error codes, partially since i can't tell what the correct answers are. (BTW, where is the carriage supply LED? I don't know where to look and the service manual isn't helpful).  The test asks if the carriage moved to the middle position; is that directly centered on the printer or is that anywhere in the center where actual printing occurs. the carriage never stops at the center, so if i select "No", i get the "High Friction" error. but if i select "Yes", the test moves fine to the Scan-Axis Length where it errors with "87.11 Scan-Axis Length Too Short".

i've verified there are absolutely no bits of paper where they don't belong (media path, service station, printheads, carriage rod all clear)

I've cleaned the encoder strip, and the Encoder portion of the scan axis test never causes an error.

I've checked electrical connections 

and now i'm out of ideas. What else can I try to get the printer working again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the cutter was interfering with the carriage travel path. it was not seated in the correct groove, which made it stick out about a quarter inch too far, shortening the scan axis length just enough to error. now all those 86.01 errors went away :generic:

of course now the ink levels are too low in the cartriges that i don't have replacements for to get through the calibrations. so i still can't print yet, but hopefully that won't open a new can of worms.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

A couple of items to check.  First you should open the top cover and stick of wad of paper in the cover open switch on the right side so you can see what is going on if you have not done so already.  With the power off I generally move the carriage using the belt from right to left and then back to right.  If the carriage is locked just turn on the plotter and when the carriage moves out of the right side, pull the power cord.  Is the action smooth the complete length?  Also remember the belt has two types of grooves and the grooves that run over the tensioner pulley are different then the grooves that run over the motor shaft so you have to make sure the belt was positioned correctly on the carriage so the correct grooves are over each item the complete time the carriage moves from right to left.  Also it is possible the carriage may be hitting the right side entrance to the service station.  There is a bushing at the top of the carriage, a sort of black plastic piece that has a habit of falling off during belt replacement that if not put back on causes the carriage to sit to low in the front and hit the entrance.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, no dice. the carriage moves smoothly over the full range. the belt grooves are correctly aligned to the pulley and motor, verified at both extremes. the bushing at the top of the carriage is in place.

after more examination, when the plotter moves to the left bump position, I'm not sure if it is hitting the actual left bump or the cutter assembly. also, during the cutter test, the cutter does not engage to the carriage and results in the 86.01 paper jam error. you can manually engage the cutter to the carriage, but it's not working on command.

could the cutter be interfereing with the left bump and that be what is causing the scan axis to be too short? we will try adjusting the cutter and see if that will make a difference.

HP Recommended

the cutter was interfering with the carriage travel path. it was not seated in the correct groove, which made it stick out about a quarter inch too far, shortening the scan axis length just enough to error. now all those 86.01 errors went away :generic:

of course now the ink levels are too low in the cartriges that i don't have replacements for to get through the calibrations. so i still can't print yet, but hopefully that won't open a new can of worms.

HP Recommended

There is a bushing at the top of the carriage, a sort of black plastic piece that has a habit of falling off during belt replacement that if not put back on causes the carriage to sit to low in the front and hit the entrance...

I was wondering if you could provide more details about this plastic peice, maybe a picture or where it may have come off please.

HP Recommended

See the attached.

HP Recommended

Replaced the bushing and it worked. However, now I have a a message magenta toner cartridge faulty. I replaced the magenta toner cartridge and still same message. I then replaced the ink station and still same message. I removed the majenta printhead and restarted plotter and it did a printhead alignmen successfully. I was able to plot and thought I was good to go. However, after it sat and went into power save I tried to plot again and message magenta toner cartridge fault returned. Does anyone have a solution to this please.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Go to the EWS and check the expidation date of the ink cartridge. (Do not look at the cartridge)

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.