cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
sbarner
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

DesgnJet 500 Calibration Question

HP Recommended
DesignJet 500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This is a high school and we have an HP DesignJet 500 that we bought new, many years ago. Being a school, the printer gets hammered at times, and sits idle sometimes for months.  Compared to commercial printers, the overall useage would be considered light.  All the cartridges and printheads are current, with the exception of the black printhead, which was installed last year, but which recently started reporting that it was expired.  That head reports only 34% usage.  The color cartridges are LD generics.

We've been having issues with color shift on photographs.  The prints start out fine, then shift to a greenish tinge  after a few vertical inches, then shift back to normal.  This can happen a couple times on a large print. There is some slight banding where the color shifts, and the defect goes completely across the print.

I ran a color calibration and a diagnostic and things look fine.  However, the sample for the diagnostic print shows black rectangles after the yellow - cyan - magenta rectangles and no black rectangle is appearing at all on the one I ran.  On the lower part of the diagnostic, the narrow black rectangle is there, but that one is made up of the color cartridges, not the black.  On the color calibration, the yellow, magenta and cyan gradations print fine.  I would assume that the first gradation should be grayscale, but there's nothing there at all.  I did run the printhead cleaning through the diagnostic print wizard, to no apparent effect.

I printed a few lines of black text from an ASCII text file, and they printed fine. It looked as if the black was NOT being printed from composite colors.

My questions are -- should there be a black rectangle on the diagnostic A print and grayscale print on the color calibration?  Can anyone provide insight on the color shift issue? Being the end of the academic year, we're getting lots of requests for print jobs, but the repair budget has been wiped clean until the next budget cycle.

HP_DJ500_Diagnostics.pngColor shift to greenColor shift to green

1 REPLY 1
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your calibration result looked fine & mine was the same. 

one possiblity...  ink tube might has air...

2nd .    unstable printhead  

myself encountered this problem countless times... at the end... replaced printhead..  

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation