cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
kenv98223
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

DesignJet 5500 system error 0c0040 after long storage

HP Recommended
DesignJet 5500

I've got a DesignJet 5500 that worked fine when it was put into storage a year or more ago.  It still seems mechanically sound, and the carriage and paper move smoothly.   However, whenever I try to print, I now get a system error 0c0040 "Error in Printhead Drop Detection".

I've replaced the ink tube system, the service station and the drop detector.   It successfully does a Printhead recovery.  The front panel ink and printhead status indicators all show "OK".   But it fails any / all of the test, diagnostic or calibration modes that involve actual printing.

There's plenty of ink in the cartridges and it flows freely to the heads.  I'm just not convinced it's getting past the heads - I've never seen any on the paper.  I even tried putting some Kleenex scraps into the spittoons, and only 2-3 of them show fresh ink after Printhead recovery. 

Questions:
   - could it be that my printheads are clogged with dry ink after sitting idle for a long time (possibly in a fairly hot warehouse)?   Is there anything I can do other than start replacing $300 printheads?  

- following the system error code 0c0040 there's another hex number.  I noticed that it changed value after I cleaned the printheads with alcohol.  Does anyone know the interpretation of this number?

- or am I on the wrong track entirely, and this has nothing to do with printheads?   

3 REPLIES 3
meat1820
Level 4
109 99 8 16
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you mentioned that you replaced the tube system, service station and drop detector. did you perform service calibrations after replacing those components? they have to be done before you can run any print testing or print calibrations.

I would go back into your service manual and perform SERVICE CALIBRATIONS. Before doing that, you can removed your printheads and let the nozzles soak in hot water (tap water in a bowl). if you dab the printhead on a damp paper towel you should get a solid color line if the nozzles are clear. if you see a gap with no color, there is still a clog in the nozzle.

No need to use alchohol, all components will clean up with water.

Whenever components are replaced OR ven removed, cleaned and reinstalled you MUST PERFORM the SERVICE CALIBRATIONS FOR THAT COMPONENT. I would start with the service station calibration first. That will test the drop detector during it's sequence.

let us know what happens.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Rabid_Doug
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am also getting the 0c0040 system error at startup while the printer tries to calibrate printheads.

Can the printheads actually be taken out and soaked in water as you say? You did actually say "nozzles" so are you saying to only get the nozzles wet?

The printer never completes startup so I cannot get past this system error to perform SERVICE CALIBRATIONS - am I missing something?

Thanks!

meat1820
Level 4
109 99 8 16
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

with the printer turned OFF, you should be able to open the cleaner door and pull the printhead cleaner tray out - forward - and slide the carriage by hand to the left. Remove the printheads and soak the bottom nozzles in hot tap water for a few minutes. 

Page 2-21 of your service manual tells you about the 0c0040 error code - paper in drop detector- cant use the kleenex. 

After you get your printhead nozzles free from clogs and reinstalled, do not turn the printer on.

start the printer by going into service mode and do the tests from there.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation