cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
rower4736
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

DesignJet T730 Belt Comes Off Pulley

HP Recommended
F9A29A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a DesignJet T730 that I purchased last October (just outside of warranty) that I am having an issue with. Around Halloween I was printing architectural plans (we are a commercial roofing company) and the printer stopped working. The error it gave was that there was a paper jam or an obstruction that needed to be cleared. I opened the cover and saw the belt that moves the carriage/Service Station was not taut. It had come off the pulley on the right side. I was able to put the belt back on the pulley and had no issues with the printer until last week, when I needed to print many drawings (more than two 150' rolls). It took an extraordinarily long time to print because the belt kept coming off. On Wednesday I had to put the belt back on at least 4 times, Thursday was at least 10 times, and Friday it printed the first 28 pages without an issue, but then kept popping off for the remaining 4 pages (at least 20 times).

Today, I had to print 12 pages, it got through 8 without issue, and now I have 4 pages left again, and I have been trying to get those 4 pages printed for over 2 hours (the belt has come off at least a dozen times). The belt always comes off in the exact same spot every time (+/- 1 inch). I thought the issue was with the teeth of the belt near the right pulley when the Service Station (SS) stops, but upon inspection, I could not see any issue. It's a big pain in the butt. Once I get the belt back on the pulley and push "Okay" on the notification panel, it has to check the printer and slides back and forth a couple of times without issue, then slides all the way to the right, "docks," and for some reason releases the roll, so when the service station comes out to print, it goes back and forth several times and senses that there isn't a roll installed, then checks the document tray, which is also empty, then beeps. So I load the roll. The SS goes back and forth, then needs to adjust for skew going back and forth again, then has to cut the roll, which again is back and forth. By the time it is actually ready to print the SS has gone back and forth around a dozen times, since I re-installed the belt. Sometimes it will remaing working to print a few pages, other times it comes back off as soon as it starts to print.  I have looked on the internet and this does not appear to be common problem, at least not on more recent DesignJets. 

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

2 REPLIES 2
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The belt has probably stretched a bit and will need to be replaced.

CQ890-67059Belt 24 inch

F9A30-67068Belt 36 inch

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
JackB44
Level 3
60 60 1 14
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you will have to replace belt, I am suggesting also to check motor fastening (can me loose a bit) and to replace pulley/belt tensioner.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation