cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
Chapster5
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Designjet 500 24" 03:10

HP Recommended
Designjet 500 24"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi all,

New here so last week someone was getting rid of a Designjet 500 24" for free nothing wrong with it except it wanted a new drive belt fitting. Fair enough went ahead and collected it they supplied a new belt to fit part of the deal. Turns out the new belt is for a 48" so ordered a new 24" belt and fitted it.

Fired up the machine and sweet as a nut it all fires up and plays well did a print head alignment and that didn't work kept failing due to the print heads not printing so I replaced all them with a new set. Did a head alignment today and boom worked a charm cool now I did a colour calibration and that worked a charm to! Time to test this beast.

Head to Photoshop make a new document 20x20" and click print it came up with an error about not being able to process the print. Updated the drivers from hp and that fixed that issue now here's where the fun begins. I managed to start a print and about 1/4 through it stopped with error 03:10 on the screen bit of googling and the power supply is dead apparently even though the printer fires up?

Took the supply out and stripped it down cleaned it all thoroughly and put it back together same error when I try and print or even try and print a calibration pattern. I read that the printer makes a loud whiring noise and that's the fan on the power supplies bearing dead however I left the cover off the machine and watched it when it fired up and the fan on the power supply doesn't even spin and the fan on top of the electrical module doesn't spin either? I also get an error when it fires up initial like 01:10 or something which points to an electrical module fault but I can click OK and continue to use the printer.

Ammo right in assuming to replace both power supply and electrical module? Or is there a work around for the power supply?

Cheers

Nick
8 REPLIES 8
Chapster5
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Oh also the electric module will one from a 48" work with a 24"?
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
EOJTech
Level 4
68 65 9 19
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
For the 03:10 error, I have had to replace the power supply because the fan failed. In one case at a remote site, I took the fan out of a customer's PC and installed it in the Designjet. It worked just fine. For the 01:10 error, it may disappear when the power supply is functioning again. If not, check and reseat the trailing cables at both ends (electronic module and carriage). That has worked for me in the past. Not sure if the electronic module from a 48" will work on a 24". Good luck!
Chapster5
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Many thanks matey! I will give replacing the fan a try with a computer one and hopefully that solves the situation! I'll report back with my findings and the trailing cable is that the 2 ribbon cables that connect to the head the very thin white ones?

Nick
EOJTech
Level 4
68 65 9 19
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
That is correct. They are the two ribbon cables you described. They can be the source of many problems, from the code you have to image quality issues. When you reseat them, make sure they are "square" on the connectors. Being ribbon cables, they don't work well when crooked. Also, the connectors have a "locking" mechanism on top. Be sure to release it before you remove the cable or you may damage the cable and/or connector. If memory serves, the lock is released by gently lifting up on both ends.
Chapster5
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You're a legend thank you I'll double check I seated them again correctly when I replaced the belt make sure they havent worked themselves loose.
D Hook
Level 7
871 818 36 100
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you're not far from Omaha, NE I have a couple 500's I'm giving away.  Power supplies work.  Or I can send you just the power supply for the price of shipping.

Chapster5
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Dhook thank you mate! I'm in the UK I will gladly take you up on that offer of this fan trick doesn't work mate. Any chance for the electronic module as well if tweaking these ribbon cables don't work? (if they're 24" machines)
Chapster5
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ok so new supply it is that fan I bought didn't work unfortunately. Dhook think you could hook me up if I pay shopping?
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation