cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
tabcom
Level 3
86 47 0 4
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Designjet 500 ISS error

HP Recommended

I have a Designjet 500 ISS that has the identical error with 2 cartridges being faulty display AFTER I replace the ISS with another one.

What else could cause this error?

Bad ink tube assembly?

I was an HP Customer Engineer from 1995-2002.
During this time, I serviced contract and warranty calls within the Northern Indiana area. When I left HP, I took my HP Designjet service experience and started my own business servicing out of contract plotters. Designjetpartsfast.com was launched in 2009. With over 20 years Designjet experience, I can help you resolve issues you are experiencing with your Designjet Printer.
4 REPLIES 4
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the error message 22:10 or something else. Also was the replacement ink service station new unused or a used part.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
tabcom
Author
Level 3
86 47 0 4
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No error codes on power up.

Previous ISS was used. Worked fine for 18 months. Then flashed solid rectangle on display and '!' for 2 cartridges.

Replaced with another used ISS. Same display errors on 2 cartridges.

I was an HP Customer Engineer from 1995-2002.
During this time, I serviced contract and warranty calls within the Northern Indiana area. When I left HP, I took my HP Designjet service experience and started my own business servicing out of contract plotters. Designjetpartsfast.com was launched in 2009. With over 20 years Designjet experience, I can help you resolve issues you are experiencing with your Designjet Printer.
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,062 558 1,025
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe I am missing something here but I do not see where you tried any new cartridges. Maybe the two cartridges just went bad or as I have seen one bad cartridge causes another to show as bad even if it is not.

DixonMarshall
Level 2
16 14 0 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had this happen twice. The first time, one of my OEM ink cartridges had a bad chip, giving me the "!" on 3 of them. I solved that one by process of elimination. As an aside, the bad chip was on a cartridge that was nearly full. Not wanting to waste the ink, I pulled the bottom cover (along with the chip) off of an empty cartridge and installed in on the faulty cartridge. Yes, it warned me that the cartridge was empty for a long time, though it wasn't . I cut the top off of the cartridge for a visual indication when it got low. The little bag in there will shrink a lot as the cartridge empties.

The second time, I tried a set of non-OEM refill cartridges that have the automatic reset chip. These are fickle and will throw random "!"s at you, sometimes in the middle of a print job. Lesson learned.

Now, I only use genuine HP ink, but I only buy it on Ebay and only if it is expired AND factory sealed. I'm talking $5.00 to $10.00 for a $70.00 cartridge! The notoriously unreliable refills cost twice as much.

That expiration date is BS, the cartridges work fine even 10 years past the expiration date. I think the date was just a ploy to sell more ink, because it does not go bad. In the end, it works out great for me, because the price goes down and soon as that expiry date comes and goes. I have large photos on my wall that I printed years ago with 10 year old ink, and they still look perfect. The secret is to always use genuine HP paper and ink, but feel free to ignore the expiration date. I only buy factory sealed paper, too, the age of it doesn't matter.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation