Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My normally reliable Designjet 510 has suddenly started having printing problems: it will start printing my drawings, no problem, but it will suddenly stop and the printhead just 'hangs' and won't print anymore.  It sometimes starts right at the beginning of a print, sometimes it gets nearly to the end of the drawing before it stops, but it just can't seem to finish the print job.  The printer doesn't show an error message, it still shows that it's printing, but no matter how long I leave it, it won't get to the end of a drawing.   I'm on Microsoft Windows 10 - there was a hiccup when I upgraded Windows, but after reinstalling the printer driver, it seemed to work again no problem.  I'm tearing my hair out (and wasting vast amounts of paper) trying to get anything to print!  Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

P.S. I posted this problem before, then thought I had sorted it by tweaking the printer settings, but it has started again and I'm not closer to finding out why!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

How is the printer connected?

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

How is the printer connected?

HP Recommended

It's a wired connection - we had all the computers and printers professionally installed and wired together when we had our office built.  I have just sent a couple of pages to print and tried changing one of the settings to 'Enable Spoolsmart' and the pages have printed.  Time will tell if this has fixed it as about 1 in 3 pages I send manage to print (the other 2 would end up hanging), I may have just got lucky this time....

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to reply before, the problem seems to have been solved by tweaking the settings.

HP Recommended

Hi, I was wondering whether you would be able to help me - this problem has flaired up again and no amount of tweaking of settings seems to work.  I can't get my printer to finish printing a singe drawing! I would be really grateful if you had any ideas.....

Thanks.

HP Recommended

In the same place where you enabled spoolsmart see if there is a box above to send job as a bitmap (process in the computer).  Check that box as it solves most issues where memory is a factor.  It will be under the service tabs and then you click on troubleshooting.

HP Recommended

That box is already ticked, and I also tick the 'spoolsmart' box as well for good measure (when I remember to as it never stays ticked), but that doesn't seem to make much difference.  Do you think it is a memory problem?  I used to get a message when printing largish files warning me that the file was too big to print, but I don't anymore.

HP Recommended

I have the exact plotter running windows 10. Friday I tried to print ant I get a plotter is in error state. I have tried all the usuall tricks turning everything off and re-starting, downloading the latest driver, uninstalling and re-installing the plotter. None of this is working. I usually print my documents directly from Autocad, currently 2016Lt. I tried printing a PDF of the drawing no luck. I had to spend 40 bucks at a printer to get 2 color sheets printed that would have cost little to nothing if my plotter was functioning. My businees is down and I am loosing production time.   I don't know if any of this is related to your issue. Usually I can find answers on the forums. But afte 3 hours Friday and 4 today nothing is working. My computer does not seem to be able to detect the plotter connected to USB port 2 which is selected everywhere I can find.

I can print just fine wifi to a 11x17 Officejet 7612. But I don't typically work in 11x17.

HP Recommended

Are there any messages on the control panel of the plotter.  Can you print anything using the control panel of the plotter, even if just a color calibtration to make sure the hardware is working.  If working remove the usb cable at the computer and plug into a different usb port and tell us if the computer see's the new hardware and loads the software for it.  You should see this on the computer screen.

HP Recommended

Day 3 no plotter

1) There is no code on the plotter control panel. 2) I printed a service sheet that had the history of the cartridges on an 8.5x11 sheet no problem. 3) I then re-loaded my roll feed paper. 4) I changed the computer USB port which I had tried before and the computer did not respond at all.

5) Tried to plot a dwg. file and  first I get an AutoCad warning that reads " HP Designjet 510 24in Printer (Copy 1): This plotter configuration cannot be used for one of these reasons: the driver cannot be found, the device cannot be found, or the driver has a problem. The None plot device has been substituted.

I then go into the Autocad print selection box which I usually have to do when this pops up, select a printer configuration I know works and have used before and print. Since I have been messing with this problem since Friday and deleted all of my previously loaded versions for this plotter and re-installed the software and the driver from HP's site I picked that new plotter configuration.  I states the plotter is in an error state. I found Files from yesterday that did not print. I removed those, turned the plotter off and on. Still no luck.  I also noticed another plotter file was loaded for this device. I tried plotting again with that plotter selected and I get a message attempting to cancel sheet : Layout 1.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.